-----

"Alternate Tin Preservative"

2005

I am searching for an alternative for the stearic acid/ xylol mixture used for preserving tin plating for solderability. I have a customer that is complaining that the parts we do for him don't solder all that well. They solder a small sheathed wire to the piece and say it takes 10-15 minutes to solder this on. The substrate is .005 copper and is copper plated
.0001-.0003 with pyrophosphate copper and .0001-.0003 of matte acid tin (MSA). We have not had any other complaints about solderability problems.
The bath has been analyzed for contaminants by the manufacturer and shows nothing out of line. I thought perhaps a preservative might help the problem but do not want to use xylol in the shop.

Gary Smith
Plating shop - Everett, Massachusetts
^