-----

"I put muriatic acid on a object; it turned pinkish brown"

2005

I put Muriatic Acid [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] on a object thought to be gold it turned pinkish brown what does that mean. I'm a small beginner collector of nic nacs.

Brad Kelling
self interest - Walnut Creek , California, USA
^

2005

It means it's not solid 24k gold, but it doesn't mean much more than that. Spot testing of metals must be done in accordance with a predeterminded tree structure. To conduct one test from the middle of the tree and ask what you have is unfortunately rather like taking one step from a recipe, "add three eggs", and guessing what it's a recipe for.

I believe that a simple spot test tree can be found in the Metal Finishing Guidebook, but there are whole books on the subject ("Rapid Spot Testing of Metals & Alloys" [affil. link to book "on Amazon] by A. Holmes, Spot Tests in Inorganic Analysis by Fritz Feigl).

Hydrochloric acid is nasty stuff and I hope you are using some guidelines for safe experimentation.

^