-----

"Corrosion in 2024 T-351 aluminum alloys by alcohol"

2005

Dear Sr
I'm from Brazil and I working in research with alcohol to aircraft components and my question is:
Is the aluminum alloy 2024 T-351 resistant to corrosion by alcohol?

Pedro Paulo de Campos
Centro Tecnico Aeroespacial - São José dos Campos, São Paulo, Brazil
^

2005

Based on my experience 2024 is not very resistant to alchohol corrosion be cause of its relativly high Magnesium content and the water absorbed in the alchohol , take a look at any water methanol injection system where Mg alloys have been used ( especially on older aircraft )and you will see what I mean .I would suggest you lok at2117 or 6061(the Cr seems to give better protection . In any case the choice of surface treatment is vital for maximum corrosion resitance.I hope this helps.

Dave Brackenridge
aerospace plating - Germiston, South Africa
^