-----

"Removing Chrome From Wheels and Sandblasting Nickel"

2005

I read on one of your forums that muriatic acid would remove the chrome layer off of wheels, but would not remove the nickel that is under it. I was wondering if you could us the acid to remove the chromium and leave the nickel and then sandblast the nickel to give the wheel a silvery matte look. This would then still protect the steel underneath I beleive. If this would work would somebody please tell me where I can get the acid?
thanks for your help!

Adam Mendel
hobbyist - Atlanta, Georgia
^

2005

You can get Muriatic Acid [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] on-line or at a hardware store. It's fairly dangerous stuff. It probably won't look like you think, it won't be as corrosion resistant as before, and the nickel will tarnish. Still, it's a matter of taste.

^