-----

"Are Chrome Plated Srews and Washers RoHS Compliant?"

2005

As a member of my company's RoHS Compliance Team I have researched many of the finishing processes for screws and washers. In my search I have discovered that Stainless, Most Zinc plated Steel, and Brass fasteners are RoHS Compliant. I have not found any information on Chrome Plated hardware which may contain Hexavalent Chromium in the coating process of the parts. Are they non compliant or are the amounts present below the limits set by the Directive of .1% by weight.

Mark Spliedt
Electronic Product Manufacturing - Grand Rapids, Michigan
^

2005

The plated chrome is in the metallic state, not the hexavalent; therefore these parts would be compliant.

RoHS deals with the chemicals that are left on the part, not how they got there - the fact that hexavalent chromium was used to plate the parts is not important.

Jim Gorsich
Accurate Anodizing Inc.
Compton, California, USA
accurate anodizing banner
^

2005

JIM
First thank you for responding to my question on hexavalent chomium in chrome plated screws. However I am not sure it is totally accurate. The parts maybe compliant but RoHS does not just deal with the chemicals left on the parts, it also includes what the chemical breakdown of the part which must meet the limits set by the Directive for these Hazardous Substances.

Mark Spliedt
- Grand Rapids, Michigan
^

2005

The breakdown of the part, though, is chrome metal, not hexavalent chrome. And there is far less chrome in a chrome plated screw than in a stainless steel screw.

^