-----

"BS1872 ELECTRO TIN PLATING"

2005

Please somebody,

I lost the standard specification for tin plating of iron material to BS1872 Cu/Ni/Sn/5/b.
How thick in (micrometer) does copper have, does nickel have, does tin have? and what does /5/b means?

Tony B. Mayo
plating student - Cavite, Philippines
^

2005

Tony,
Coatings in this specification can be classified using a 5 part code of the format a/b/c/d/e where;
a = the chemical symbol of the base material (or the major component if it's an alloy)
b = indicates the undercoat by the symbol Cu or Ni or by you where other undercoats are required or by z where an undercoat is not required.
c = Sn the chemical symbol for tin
d = the minimum coating thickness in um
e = indicates the surface finish (appearance), m for matt, b for bright or f if it is flowmelted.

If the base material is brass the undercoat shall be 2.5 µm of copper or nickel.

If you're a student I hope I haven't done all your homework !, if you're a manufacturer you shouldn't really be taking on/quoting work without copies of the appropriate specifications, how will you know what the testing and inspection requirements are ?, but I guess that would be between you and your customer.

Richard Guise
- Lowestoft, U.K.
^

2005

Hello Richard,

My apology to my late response because I've just read this message of yours today. Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate the time and effort you gave. Yes actually I'm both a student and working to a mfg. company. Anyway I received an email with an attachment containing the full specification of BS 1872.

Tony B. Mayo
- Philippines
^

Hi

We are trying to find out the Tin Plating Spec BS 1872.

I spoke to two platers, they told us what their spec was for tin plating BUT want to check that this meets the BS 1872 Spec

Component is made of Brass Bar to BS 2874

What is the thickness of the nickel base coat ?
What is the thickness of the tin plate coat ?

Can anyone help me ?

Gerald Pearse
- Essex, UK
^

July , 2009

Hi, folks. Here is a direct link to get a copy of BS 1872:1984 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet]. Good luck.

^