-----

"Brushed Chrome vs. Stainless Steel Cooktops"

2005

When it comes to cooktops which one holds up better? At least which one resists scratching, or does not show as bad? I figure brushed, but are there a lot of choices in brushed? What is the better product in longevity?

Penny Bradford
- Carson, Washington, USA
^

2005

It is certainly possible to take plain steel and then nickel-chrome plate it, as is done on some truck bumpers, auto wheels and plumbing fixtures, but I'm not aware of it being done for cooktops--so I wonder if you are correct about that. My suspicion is both units you are looking at are stainless steel. Unfortunately a consumer can rarely find enough about the manufacturing processes utilized on consumer products to be able to make an educated guess as to their longevity; usually you have no choice but to rely on your experience with a brand.

^