-----

"Anodizing Coefficient of Friction?"

Current question and answers:

Q. Michael, if you're still out there, and magically still know, can you share the websites you found?

Abe Borzin
- new york, NY
^

Previous closely related Q&A's starting in:

1999

Q. Is the coefficient of friction (COF) of anodized aluminum less than the coefficient of friction of non-anodized aluminum? If so, by exactly how much?

Aaron Jacobson
- Houston, Texas
^

2003

A. Anodized Aluminum has a lower coefficient of friction than aluminum. I'm not sure myself by how much, but I'm looking for it.

Steve Koralesky
- Madison, Wisconsin
^

2003

Q. I am a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and I am currently working on a design homework project for my statics course. In order to do this, I was wondering if anyone knew the coefficient of friction of anodized aluminum on anodized aluminum and the coefficient of friction of anodized aluminum on paper. I realize that there could be a broad range based on how the aluminum is anodized, but I would really appreciate a ballpark figure or some feedback of any kind.

Thank You for your time.

John Ernest Welch
- Madison, Wisconsin
^

2003

? Obviously Steve is doing the Statics design homework and is trying to find the lost and impossible friction coefficient for anodized aluminum. All I can say on this the biggest waste of time.... searching endlessly for a number I hopefully will never see again. And yes, Steve is right ... but do you really think, Steve, that someone who posted a question in 1999 is still sitting at his computer waiting for an answer?

Matt Iwanski
UW-Madison - Madison, Wisconsin
^

2003

thumbs up sign Hi, Matt.
I read a "Hints from Heloise" in Good Housekeeping magazine once, wherein the inquirer asked Heloise what to do about having spilled red wine on her blouse. Heloise opened with: "If you can treat the stain before it dries..."

I think it's safe to say that Heloise did not honestly believe that the poor woman, many months later, was still in the restaurant, with a wet wine-stained blouse, waiting for the magazine to reach the news stand. Both Heloise's answer and Steve's will hopefully be helpful to the next person looking for it :-)

^

2003

A. I found the coefficient on a couple of websites. They ranged from 0.2 to 0.7. Based on others that I have talked to, I have chosen 0.7 as the best possible choice.

Michael Griffin
- Madison, Wisconsin
^