pub Where the world has
gathered for finishing Q&As since 1989

High temperature coating using metallizing

(-----) 2005

I wanted to know whether there is any way to coat C.I. Surfaces to withstand up to 1000 degress centigrade by the process of metallizing where I cannot spray Stainless Steel as the pipe would be used in the presence of Fluorine Gas which reacts to the nickel in the S.S.

SHANTANU NEWAR
METALLIZING - CALCUTTA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA

2005

In my opinion, most any metal or alloy will react in the presence of fluorine gas at 1000 °C. Oxides, carbides, silicides, nitrides or cermets are out of the question. Probably not even gold could prove resistant due to temperature. Only platimun or iridium may be a possibility.