-----

Health concerns, galvanized sheeting as bulletin board

2005

I have installed galvanized mild steel sheet as "pin up" boards in our office. We use rare earth magnets and fridge magnets to hold drawing or notices to the galvanized sheet.

Are there health concerns if the galvanizing is exposed, not painted or covered? People's hands are all over them.

ThanX

Wayne Friesen
Royal Ontario Museum - Toronto Ontario Canada

2005

The zinc coating, i.e. the hot dip galvanizing itself, is of no concern at all. The chromate conversion coating that made it bright and keeps it bright is more of a question mark since it is a gel that probably includes hexavalent chromium. Such a coating has been used for decades (at least) on everything from ash cans and garbage cans to wash tubs to roofing to fence posts to guard rails to electrical conduit. I notice that Lone Star restaurants use galvanized sheeting as a design theme, and other establishments probably do as well.

I know of no official rulings or government advice to guide you either way. Lacking that, my own personal philosophy is that I would not worry myself about existing installations, but I would not design new installations where the public would touch chromated parts. Just one guy's opinion.

2005

You needlessly worry. While the best medical advise comes from your own doctor, I'd recommend you take 2 zinc fortified vitamins, get a good nights sleep, and call me in the morning. It's METALLIC ZINC and you need not worry!

milt stevenson jr.
Milt Stevenson, Jr.
Anoplate Corporation
Syracuse, New York
Anoplate banner

adv.:   
anoplex banner

(No "dead threads" here! If this page isn't currently on the Hotline your Q, A, or Comment will restore it)