We've been striving for 23 years to build the
world's best website -- it's worth your time smiley

Re-Bluing Vs. Painting

(2005)

I am an amateur gun collector and I recently purchased a J.P. Sauer and Sohn 6.35mm Model 1913 and needless to say it needs some restoration. The outside doesn't look that bad, but when I field strip'd it....I was almost in tears with the amount of rust inside. I cannot get into all the nooks and crannies of the small vest pistol, so I want to have it detailed and possibly re-blued. My question is, what is the difference with painting the weapon vs. re-bluing (i.e. protection from future rust attacks) and what impact this will have on the weapon if I can't get all of the rust out?

Thanks in advance.

Mark John Wyn
Re-Bluing - Laurel, Maryland, USA

(2005)

Dear Mark!
Corrosion endurance of bluing(chemical or heat) is very low- you must use it combined with oil finish(or lacquer)!

(2005)

Mark, anyone that does re-bluing should have a stripper that will remove the rust and old bluing. Paint will just coat the metal and scrape off. Bluing colors the metal itself (similar to stain in wood). The metal also must be polished to the shine that you want the bluing to be. Find a good gunsmith that reblues and let them refinish your gun the way you want it.

Ed Kay
- St. Louis, Missouri, USA