We've been striving for 23 years to build the
world's best website -- it's worth your time smiley

Platinum ring

(2005)

I have a platinum engagement ring (I hope). It was accidentally thrown across the room and hit against the wall. The ring itself has a bend now... I'm wondering if platinum should do this considering it's supposed to be stong etc etc. Do I have a real deal? or have I been ripped off... should platinum bend like this just by throwing it against the wall?

Leigh Burke
- Iowa

(2005)

Accidentally, you say :-)

Seriously, nobody could answer a physics problem that complex and with so many indeterminate variables, but there is no reason at all to believe that a less expensive ring would be softer than a more expensive ring; the contrary is more likely. A jeweler can easily appraise the ring for you with more appropriate testing methods. Good luck.

(2005)

Feel good about it. Pure platinum, like pure gold, is much softer than alloys.