Platinum ring

2005

I have a platinum engagement ring (I hope). It was accidentally thrown across the room and hit against the wall. The ring itself has a bend now... I'm wondering if platinum should do this considering it's supposed to be stong etc etc. Do I have a real deal? or have I been ripped off... should platinum bend like this just by throwing it against the wall?

Leigh Burke
- Iowa

2005

Accidentally, you say :-)

Seriously, nobody could answer a physics problem that complex and with so many indeterminate variables, but there is no reason at all to believe that a less expensive ring would be softer than a more expensive ring; the contrary is more likely. A jeweler can easily appraise the ring for you with more appropriate testing methods. Good luck.

2005

Feel good about it. Pure platinum, like pure gold, is much softer than alloys.