-- this is a no-registration site.

-----

"Rust on chrome"

2005

I recently bought a car that had chrome wheels but they have began to rust I have heard that brillo pads will take the rust off and leave the chrome looking better is this true or do I need to use another option?

Matthew Hollingsworth
hobbyist - Morehead, KY, United States
^

2005

The nickel-chrome plating on wheels does not rust. When the underlying steel becomes exposed, that's where the rust is coming from. So, even though you can remove the rust, it will come back quickly because the steel is exposed. I wouldn't use steel wheel, I'd use chrome polish. Then you can wax them to try to drive some wax into the pores to seal them to lessen the exposure of the steel to water and air.

^

help wanted ad
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury, MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]