pub Where the world has
gathered for finishing Q&As since 1989

Copper aging

(-----) 2005

1. I am a small builder and I incorporate copper in my projects. Recently I completed a copper canopy added to a project I completed last year. The spires, roof valleys and gutters, etc. already aged to a dark brown while the new canopy looks just red copper. Is there anything I can do or treat the copper to age faster?
2. Also I noticed that on another project I rinsed the brick and stone with a mix of water and murriatic acid and the AC copper pipes turned to green like old copper. Kind of cool I thought, I should use it to aged the copper... is it a bad idea?

Do I ask for too much for anyone who wants to answer.

Liviu Mihulet
A Quality Development Co. - Lincolnwood, Illinois, USA

2006

I have recently installed two copper chimney tops... very ornate, in copper and I also would like to age them or at least dull down the copper a little while the natural process takes place.. I would also appreciate any input on this... thanks

Michael Green
Blue Mountain Development Corp - Palmerton, Pennsylvania, USA