-- this is a no-registration site.

-----

"Can Zinc Plate, Class 12 Type 2, Bronze or Olive Drab in Color be applied to Chain Link in accordance with ASTM-B695"

2005

I am a purchasing agent with a government owned manufacturing facility responsible for procuring a wide variety of supplies based on the specifications that our engineers create. Occasionally vendors have difficulty providing material that meets our specifications. On rare occasions the material we request is not available.

In this instance, I was instructed to procure 310 27 link chains with the protective finish described in the subject line. The closest response I've received to my requirement is that the coating can be applied to the chain only by ASTM B633 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] .

Before I send notice to the engineers to amend their spec I want to ensure that the finishing coating they requested is not available.

If there is anyone who can finish the chain to this spec I would like to be introduced to them.

Sherman Mayle
Government Agency - Watervliet, New York
^

2005

ASTM B695 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] is the specification for mechanically plated zinc. This process would be preferred if the chain was high-strength; otherwise, electroplating (ASTM B-633) would be cheaper and look better. Mechanical plating is receptive to yellow and conventional (in other words, two-part) olive drab chromates. There are many job shops that can do this work.

tom_rochester
Tom Rochester Plating Systems & Technologies, Inc.  

CTO - Jackson, Michigan, USA

plating systems & technologies banner ad
^