Black chrome

2005

Many years ago I was shown a piece of i/2 in rod that had been polished and plated with what I was told that it was "black chrome". It LOOKED like a nice chrome job with a black tint to it. Was I looking at "black chrome or some other process. This happened in about 1957. Today I would like to have a set of wheels "black chromed" but I'm not really sure of what I speak. Any enlightenment? zeek

phillip deem
None - conneaut, oh. USA

1957 sounds early to me, but I guess it is possible. But since at least the late 70's, yes, black chrome has been available and does look like a smokey gray chrome. There are also dark matte black chrome platings that are used for optical purposes, but that's not the decorative plating you are speaking of.