Electrolytic stripping of electroless nickel-phosphorus coating

1999

Does anyone have a formula for the electrolytic stripping of an electroless nickel-phosphorus coating?

warren silverman
- brooklyn ny

1999

Please see our FAQs on Stripping of Electroless Nickel.

2000

My guess is that electrolytic stripping would needlessly etch the part that is probably being deposited with electroless nickel because there are precision tolerances which have been machined on it. I'd check out Metex non-cyanide processes or look into Meta-nitrobezoic acid (MNBA) I know that electrolytic stripping was accomplished using sulfuric acid, and in order to stop the etching the 'old tyme' platers put glycerine in it. But I'd still be wary of this.

Also from my experience with electroless nickel there is a black smut which develops on the part (as it strips) maybe an oxide of phosphorus?, put on rubber chemical rubber gloves [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and wipe or brush the part to accelerate the stripping time. Sincerely Steve Wilcox

Steve Wilcox
- Tecumseh, Michigan