how to make chrome black

(1999)

I just got a used car that has a lot of chrome trim that I what to make black.How can I do this my self with out spending a lot of of dough? Can I just sand, prime and paint it? Or do I have to do some kind of plating? thanks!

Joseph Velazquez
- brooklyn New York

(1999)

You can prepare and paint the chrome that way. I would make sure I get all of the blueish chrome and leave the yellowish nickel behind.

Roughen the nickel evenly with fine sandpaper to get the best surface for adhesion of the primer. If you have some power sanding equipment, it would speed up the job, since chromium is pretty hard.

Plating is expensive, but worth it for some people.

tom pullizzi monitor
Tom Pullizzi
Falls Township,
   Pennsylvania