topic 33777 page 3

Boiling Rings in Peroxide and Vinegar Stops Rash, page 3

Synopsis: The most helpful part of this thread is that many women reported complete elimination of the rash by boiling their rings in vinegar & peroxide. You may prefer to start on page 1.

1     2     3

Q. Wow, I'm so glad to find this thread. I just had the exact same issue, a red, itchy blister/welt thing under my platinum ring. After it came back for the third time (apparently, I'm a slow learner), I finally started googling and found this page.

My welt is also on my ring finger, on the side closest to the middle finger. Right now it's in the peeling stage, once it's healed I'm going to try the vinegar/peroxide cure and hope it works.

I wonder if everyone here has similar rings? My ring has a low setting, so are more nooks and crannies for bacteria/soap buildup than a plan wedding band.

Elaine Chang
- Washington DC

Q. I have been married for 2 years and have not had any problems with my platinum wedding band or engagement rings until recently. I thought it was the new soap in my office bathroom, so I brought my own. That doesn't seem to work. Once I take off my rings and let my "ring" finger heal, the rash just comes back. The rash is on the outside of my ring finger (next to my pinky finger). The rash is red and bumpy. I use hydrocortisone cream but all it does is dry the rash. Once the rash is dry, it peels. This has been going on for several months now...

I'm going to try the hydrogen peroxide/vinegar and boiling solution, but I don't want to boil my rings in the pot. How do you boil the rings? Do you suspend them or just allow them to lie on the bottom of the pot?

By the way, I live abroad in Okinawa, Japan so I'm not sure if it's related to the water. We've been here for a year and the rash only started about 6 months ago.

chrissy bean
- Okinawa, Japan

I'm like the rest of you so glad I'm not alone!

I was starting to think it was an omen... or that my fingers got fat. same rash, same blisters, it comes and goes at will, but almost within 24 hrs. of putting it back on. I have that to keep it at bay I leave my beautiful eternity band off for showers, sleeping, working out, swimming, cooking and time for it to heal when I forget to take it off.. oh yeah, washing my hands too. That seems ridiculous to me for something that is supposed to be the best to be causing so much trouble that I barely get to wear it and when I do I don't show it off because its embarrassing to have the irritation stand out around the edges, not to mention how miserable it feels.

I am for sure going to boil the heck out of them this evening and soak them.

I've only had the ring since March and got married in June... grrr silly rash ever since I started wearing it. Luckily it cleared up in time for the wedding but was back at it again on the honeymoon. What a pain!

Thanks for all the support!

Crystal Matthis
- Gardner, Kansas

OK, an update ... about 3 weeks ago I boiled the heck out of my wedding ring, platinum eternity band (suspended on a wire so it didn't lay on the metal surface)and then soaked it overnight in peroxide/vinegar. In the Morning I scrubbed the inside of the ring with a toothbrush... my ring hasn't sparkled like that since I got it! I reluctantly began wearing it right after and to my surprise my skin actually continued to heal up while wearing the ring. The swelling went down in a day or so, and although it took at least a week to completely heal, my finger is perfect now and I wear my ring all the time unless I'm cooking with meat since I'm pretty sure that is where the bacteria came from.

thumbs up signHope that helps the others suffering from the like.
Have an Awesome Day!

crystal matthis
- gardner, Kansas

A. This forum is fabulous! Gotta love the internet!

After reading so many posts from all of you I am deducing that there isn't one solution that is right for everyone. Some peoples' rashes are red, swollen and itchy....others are red, scaly and dry. My rash is the latter (red, scaly, dry). I had to take off my wedding ring for over a week in order to let the rash heal...only to have it come back after a few days of wearing the ring.

One person's post spoke volumes to my situation.....can't recall the poster's name but they were on page one. Anyway, she had come back from a visit with her dermatologist and found out her "rash" was actually a type of eczema. Her dermatologist prescribed a generic version of Elocon to clear it up. Well, reading that post was like a light going off for me because I actually have a couple of tiny patches of eczema on my scalp, for which my Dr. prescribes me Elocon! I am CERTAIN this is my problem because the red, scaly and dry rash is ONLY on the top of my finger (not the palm side) and it's identical to the eczema rash I get on my scalp. I'm talking IDENTICAL.

Elocon is a miracle worker for Eczema so I'm on my way to my medicine cabinet to rub some on my finger. I wanted to mention to those of you who have the red, scaly, dry rash....it could VERY well be eczema (eczema affects many, many people). If you don't want to bother with a Dr. and prescription for Elocon you might give something else a try.....

When my son was born he was diagnosed with eczema and so I searched for the best and safest product I could use on him to help clear it up. I happened upon a demonstration at a local fair for a product called Hawaiian Moon Aloe. It's basically the strongest form of aloe vera you can find...but it's got several other effective ingredients in it as well. Anyway, I bought it and it cleared his eczema up within 24 hours of my first use! It's a safe, non-medicinal way to help treat eczema and I highly recommend it to those of you with the same ring rash that I have. It has cleared the rash up for me in the past ... I just didn't know how or why my rash kept coming back. Now I do!

http://www.aloecream.biz/default.htm

Good luck to everyone.

Mary P [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Rocklin, California

thumbs up signI am sooo happy to have found this post. I also had the tiny blister rash where my engagement ring sat. It would go away when I stopped wearing the ring and came back when I put it on.I was so sad to contemplate having to replace it (the ring not the fiance). I didn't think it was due to an allergy to the platinum because my rash doesn't go all the way around my finger which happens when I wear a bracelet or necklace that I am allergic to. It was isolated at the very top where there is open filigree work surrounding the diamond. I used the vinegar and peroxide method and boiled it to death for 30 minutes (don't worry-the 100 deg C boiling water is nothing compared to the temperatures required to melt these metals and diamonds are not the strongest minerals for nothing). I just used tongs to fish them out and let it cool before I touched it. Then I had to boil it again because I forgot and used an old toothbrush to clean it and I didn't know how clean the toothbrush was so I boiled the ring and the toothbrush for 30 minutes and then used the boiled toothbrush to clean the ring. I didn't wait for the rash to disappear but put the ring back on but the rash is still going away! I have also not changed my hand washing habits or dried my hands any better than I used to but the rash is almost completely gone just 2 days after I used this method to clean the ring. So try this first before you use a more expensive method!

Christina Lu
- Los Angeles, California

Q. I too am so relieved to have found this site! I first developed my rash during my pregnancy with my first child (last year) and thought that it was just to do with my pregnancy hormones and that it would return to normal after I had my child. My son is now 9 months and my rash is worse than ever! I don't wear my rings (both platinum) and it really depresses me. I would love to wear them again so I am prepared to try the peroxide/vinegar solution. Sorry but could someone explain the exact quantities of each and where to buy hydrogen peroxide.

Please help!

Thanks, Katie

Katie Gibson
- Airdrie, Lanarkshire, Scotland

3% Hydrogen Peroxide
(case of 12)

Hi Katie. 2 parts vinegar to 1 part hydrogen peroxide is what most people used. Peroxide is available at drug stores because it's used as a first aid antiseptic. But you can get it really cheap on-line if you prefer (price is total for 12 bottles) =>

You want the basic 3% kind, not the high strength or food grade specialties.

Just thought I'd offer hope to those of you out there with this horrible rash. I developed the same thing out of the blue, for no apparent reason, after 16 months of being married and wearing my wedding ring and after four years of wearing my engagement ring. Both rings are platinum and neither had ever caused me a problem before, but my finger had got so sore, blistered, flaky and swollen that I couldn't wear them at all.
I read on this forum about the boiling idea, so I bought a bottle of hydrogen peroxide from Boots, and cheap white vinegar from the supermarket, boiled both rings in 2 parts vinegar to 1 part peroxide, and then left the rings to soak in the solution overnight. It really makes the kitchen stink, and it was super-scary putting my precious rings in such a toxic-smelling solution! Billions of bubbles came pouring off the rings' surface and between the diamonds, and I was really worried the diamonds might come loose. But the rings came out perfect - extremely sparkly and clean.
The rash had started to subside a little because I hadn't been wearing my rings for a few days, so the next day I tried them back on my finger again - and it was fine. They didn't inflame the rash at all, and the rash continued to get better so that within a couple of days it was completely gone. It's about six weeks later now and my finger is still fine, no rash whatsoever.
thumbs up signI have no idea what scientific explanation there could possibly be for this hydrogen peroxide / vinegar thing working, but it definitely does, and it did my platinum and diamond rings no harm at all. Hope this helps. x

Sarah Smith
- Sheffield, UK

Q. My husband and I have been married for 26 years, about 2 months ago he had a rash under his ring. He put it on the right hand and the same thing happened. Why after all of those years did it suddenly happen?

Martha Green
homemaker - Beckley, West Virginia

Hi, Martha. To be clear, is this a platinum ring, not white gold, so there is no chance it is an acquired nickel allergy? Then it may be some sort of bacteria or fungus where the cleaning method described here may help. Good luck.

Q. I've been reading that many people have a rash as a reaction to platinum jewelry.
I've been wearing a platinum eternity band for about 6 months, on my right hand ring finger, and started having unusual pain in the joint above and below the ring. Also, that one finger swells until the ring is really tight. It didn't even dawn on me that it could be the ring until I didn't put it on one day. The finger didn't swell or I didn't have pain in the finger. Am I imagining things? Has anybody ever experienced anything like this?

Debbie Dixon
reader - Newberry, Florida

thumbsdownI have a platinum wedding and engagement ring. I started to get a rash the first few weeks I got it. Someone told me right away that it's because I was not drying my hands enough. Water was getting under my ring and staying there and causing a rash. I started to be sure I dried under my ring really well after that and it went away. After over 2 years I'm starting to get it again and know it's the same problem.

Melissa Castellanos
- Napa, California

Q. I purchased a platinum ring of eBay from California, When I received it, I opened the package and tried it on for about 10 seconds. I then put it away. Roughly 12 hours later when I woke up the next morning I had a poison-ivy like rash right on the tip of my finger right where the ring rested and a few itchy blisters right above that where the ring slid across my finger. It is now the second day and the rash is about the same, maybe just a little better. After reading the posts I decided to boil the ring in the peroxide / vinegar solution and try the ring on my other hand to see if that helps. Unlike most of the other posts, my rash was very quick. I should mention that I did get one piercing over a year ago and have since removed it. If I do have an allergy to nickel or to platinum I can't believe that my reaction could be so quick. Prior to this I wore a gold ring with diamonds for 15 years with no rash other than the occasional dry spot, then another plain gold ring for a year. I was actuary thinking there was something else on the ring that I may have had a reaction to. Could there be something in the manufacturing process that I could be allergic to that maybe wasn't cleaned off the ring. It is Brand new. On a side note I do get poison Ivy very easily, although never in December before. and I was not doing any yard work for weeks prior to this.

Dan Tomlinson
- Horsham, Pennsylvania

I am so glad I have found this site.
I got 2 new rings 6 months ago which I wear on the same finger, one platinum and one white gold. Within a few weeks I developed the same red itchy rash as everyone else but under the white gold ring only (which is an eternity style). I went back to the jeweler who thought I was allergic to white gold & suggested I upgrade the ring to platinum even though I can wear 9 kt & 18 kt gold & silver rings with no problems at all. I did this thinking this was the end to the problem but unfortunately the rash has persisted & still much worse under the eternity style platinum ring.
I am beginning to think that it is the style of the ring with all the little holes on the underside which is trapping bacteria & causing the problem.
I also find that my rash gets much worse when my hands are hot.
I have tried steroid cream which clears it up but the rash comes back after a day or two of wearing my rings.
This morning I VERY NERVOUSLY boiled them in the Hydrogen peroxide/vinegar solution & they are now back in their box waiting for my rash to heal so that I can try them on again.
I will let everyone know how I get on but I am so grateful to have found some options to try as I was starting to despair of ever being able to wear them again.

Liz Arnott
- Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

thumbs up signWell it has now been a week and my rings haven't been off my finger! I can't believe it, I've cleaned, with both cleaning gloves on & off, swam & showered & not a mark on my finger. The HYDROGEN PEROXIDE/VINEGAR solution has definitely worked!
I'm thrilled to bits!

Liz Arnott
- Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

So crazy! I have been married for seven years (I thought maybe it was the 7 year itch! haha) and my finger started itching, breaking out, all of the other issues posted above. I mentioned to a friend of mine and she said look it up on the internet that it is a really common problem. So I did and here was all the information I needed! I am going to the kitchen right now to do the boiling trick.....

Heather Miller
- Phoenix, Arizona

I also have ring rash after wearing it for several years. I am a waitress and cosmetologist. my hands are always wet. I agree that this is due to having a wet warm breeding ground on my finger I am boiling my platinum ring in the solution right in the pot, and am going to practice better ring wearing habits... looks like I am not alone. Thanks

Siobhan Eileen Kinnaird
- Sandpoint Idaho

I have read with great interest the man stories of people seemingly suffering the same symptoms as I have endure for almost two years. My rash (persistently dry flaky skin) appears on the back of my ring finger and little finger. Palm side is normal. I suspected it may have had something do with the wedding ring and I've not worn it for several months now. Symptoms persist however. Doctors I've seen haven't had much of a clue. Maybe it's stress.

Ken Wilson
- Townsville, Queensland, Australia

I have been married 1 yr and have worn my ring all the time recently I have had a rash on my finger that went away after not wearing the ring then was back as soon as I put the ring back on. I am glad I have found this site I am relieved to know that I am not the only one. I have read all suggestions and will go with the vinegar solution. I will let you all know how it goes. Thank you so very much.

Angela Espinoza
- Venture, California

I laughed at the vinegar idea because it reminded me of My Greek Wedding where windex is the cure for everything! But I am doing it as we speak. I wanted to add that chap stick gives immediate relief to the rash and seems to speed the healing process. Every time I tried putting it back on, it came back, though, so I am working on the vinegar method...thank you People for this solution!

Nancy Watson
- Santa Maria, California

So I've worn my wedding ring for six months now. when I was wearing it as an engagement ring it didn't do anything. for about 2 months every time I wear my set I get a red rash, and bumps that look like poison ivy. I do work at a restaurant where I wash my hands frequently but I do dry my hands very well. I can wear my ring on my other hand and it does nothing.

sara mackenzie
- Philadelphia, Mississippi

I used to work for a very high-end jewelry store and would gently remind clients that as with anything worn/used daily: jewelry should be properly cleaned regularly. And, based upon my personal experience with dry/flaky skin irritation under my platinum ring and stud earrings: apparently occasional sanitizing is a good idea, too.

With regards to the toothbrush and boiling liquid suggestions: for general cleaning of my hard stones (pave diamonds, sapphires, and rubies), a sudsy jewelry cleaner + soft toothbrush work great, but don't try this directly on soft/porous gems such as emeralds, tanzanite, or pearls as you'll likely ruin them. Also, be careful of dropping any jewelry with gems into boiling water as this may cause a stone to break from the sudden change in heat (even diamonds).

My own skin irritation cleared up once I started leaving these items in a small bowl of rubbing alcohol overnight once a week or so. Good luck to each of you and thanks for the very helpful advice/insight!

Amy McNeil
- San Francisco, California

Q. I am having a problem with my wedding rings which is driving me crazy. I have had my wedding band and engagement rings for four years and never had any problem. My wedding band is 10k white gold and my engagement ring is 14k white gold. They are made by two different jewelers. Also I have had a nickel allergy in my ears since I was a child but never had any reaction anywhere else on my body to any other jewelry.
Over the last few months I have developed a nasty rash underneath where my rings are on my finger. My finger swells up and becomes itchy, scaly and flaky. I had both of my rings cleaned professionally and that still did not help so I went to my doctor. My doctor said he thought it was an allergy to the rings and gave me a prescription steroid cream. He said for me to let it heal completely and then try one ring at a time. I let my finger heal completely and had my rings cleaned again. I tried only wearing my engagement ring because of the higher gold content and the smaller band. After about 10 days my finger swelled up again. I once again took my ring off and used the steroid cream until the rash cleared up and started wearing my engagement ring on the other hand. After 10 days or so nothing had happened to my right hand.
I decided to see a dermatologist. The dermatologist said he thought it was not the rings but something on the rings which was irritating my finger. He felt that if it was a genuine allergy it would irritate both hands and anywhere else the rings were placed. He gave me a nickel testing kit for my jewelry and sent me on my way. I tested my rings with the kit and they came up negative for nickel, which surprised me since I thought most white gold contained nickel. I put my rings back on and my left ring finger has once again flared up. I am at somewhat of a loss at what to do now. My rings have been cleaned repeatedly to make sure there is nothing on them. I take them off when I exercise, do any cleaning, wash my hands, put on lotion, shower or anything like that. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Emily Yanez
jewelry owner - Shreveport, Louisiana

A. Hi, Emily. I'd take a chance on the vinegar and peroxide cleaning that reportedly has been so successful for so many.

Is it just me but I can't believe that for so many of us to have been wearing our jewelry for x-number of years (mine being almost 9!) that this is such a new problem? Why is this something that is happening now with a metal that has been used for generations?

I find it hard to believe the localized eczema argument and have found that the vinegar H202 solution not to work. I've been wearing metals of all sorts since a young girl - as I'm sure many of you can also say the same - and to have this just cropping up in the past few years seems to prove that there has got to be something else out there in play - what it is I have NO clue!

Yes - I'm frustrated that my wedding and engagement band burn my finger and would like to know what is causing it. I've tried everything imaginable but not gone as far as resetting them.

Amy Hersman
- Alameda, California

thumbs up signSkeptics of all skeptics here. But about 2 weeks after I went camping I developed a red, welty itchy rash under my wedding ring that would NOT go away. I never even wore my ring while camping so not sure if that was the cause of it or not but nonetheless, I could not wear it. I have worn it without incident for 4 years. All of a sudden I was in so much pain I couldn't put it on more than 3 hours before the rash returned. I googled the problem and came across this sight. I figured that there was no way a vinegar/peroxide bath would help but I was willing to do anything to get my gorgeous rings back on. So I boiled them for about 30 minutes in the solution, brushed it real good with a toothbrush and then did 2 coats of clear nail polish inside just in case. Miraculously, no more rash! I am thrilled, and my rings have never looked so sparkly!

Emily Vogel
- Quincy, Illinois

A. I developed the same problem after 10 years of wearing my rings, and after the birth of my 3rd child. I noticed that I can wear rings that have openings that allow the skin to breathe with no problems. My rings are 24 carat yellow gold. as soon as I put my other rings back on, the rash comes back. I think the answer for me is an open ring with spaces for my finger to breathe.

eliza riddle
- miamisburg, Ohio

My husband's wedding band is white gold w/ diamonds. He has had it for 1.5 yrs. and had a continuous problem with a crusty rash towards the knuckle where the ring rests. He asked me to find a site that might suggest what the problem is. I found these folks testimonies to the same problem. I'm hoping that boiling the ring in the v/hp will solve the problem. I'm hoping that this will solve the problem. It's a beautiful ring and I would hate to have it replaced.

Lindel Duncan
- Valparaiso, Florida

I'm SO thankful for the info on the rashes, metals and boiling method for cleaning the jewelry, and will be trying this tonight! HOWEVER... I wanted to double check that method before doing so because I really did not want to risk damaging my wedding rings. I found this bit of information VERY helpful. READ BEFORE BOILING YOUR RINGS:

Boil gently, cool slowly
Restrict this method of cleaning to jewelry that just won't clean up by other methods. Even though boiling is listed as safe for several stones on the accompanying Gem Cleaning Chart, I strongly suggest you restrict this method to Rubies, Diamonds and Sapphires (the colors of the American Flag). Follow the directions carefully, making sure to avoid "thermal shock" (sudden and extreme temperature change) that can fracture a stone. In other words, do not drop the jewelry in water that is already boiling!

You will need a pan of room-temperature water, and a strainer that will keep the jewelry off the bottom of the pan. A screen-like strainer will work, as will a tea strainer. Use a small amount of laundry or dishwashing detergent in the water. Put the jewelry in the strainer, and suspend in the pan. Slowly bring the pot of water to a boil, and boil for 10-20 minutes. Watch carefully, and do not leave the jewelry unattended! Do not add cold water if the water level falls: that could cause thermal shock! Remove the pan from the burner, and let cool slowly. Once the water is back to room temperature, you may give the jewelry a final brushing, rinse and dry. Your jewelry should be sparkling clean! (Remember to check for missing stones.

This was taken from www.jewelry-appraisal.com/210_Jewelry_Cleaning.htm

Sam Neville
- Washington, DC

Thank you! I had been wearing my ring for over half a year with no problem and then developed a rash and itchiness. I did wear my ring ALL the time. Some I mentioned it to asked if I was certain it was REAL platinum but I was there when my then-fiance bought it at Mikimoto and it definitely was a platinum price. Also worried that I may have some kind of platinum allergy and I wouldn't be able to wear it anymore, but I wore it for several months and no problem. Does make sense that there may be some bacteria. Get me some vinegar and peroxide pronto. I am going to boil this bugger.

Vanessa Schulz
- Washington, DC

Q. I am so glad I stumbled across this site. I have a similar problem. I have a sterling silver (925) mesh Tiffany ring that I have developed the exact same rash under. It is red, itchy, bumpy, and very painful.

I do have eczema, but hydrocortisone creme does very little. It is not an allergy - I have tried antihistamines. The interesting thing is the rash only occurs on my right index finger. If I wear the ring on any other finger, it is fine. I do believe the soap/ bacteria theory, as moisture absolutely gets trapped under there if I forget to take it off before washing my hands.

My question, does the vinegar/ hydrogen peroxide solution work on silver, or will I ruin my ring? Is it safe to boil silver? Do you boil it in the vinegar solution or in water?

Kara Brown
- Washington, DC

Sorry, Kara, I don't know the answer to that one. I suspect the solution would be bad for silver, and especially for any anti-tarnish coatings on the silver -- but I don't know.

thumbs up signThank you the vinegar and peroxide did the trick for my ring. I used equal parts of each though. I also poured just peroxide on my irritated finger and to my amazement the next morning it was 75% better than the night before. Thank you

Chrissy Dolores
- new Orleans, Louisiana

Boiling your rings isn't needed. I had the most AWFUL rash that went from my ring finger to my middle finger & palm there between. I have 2 10k rings soldered to a 14k to complete a set. I had this rash for a lot of years & am on my third set of rings,nearly giving up on this set of rings as well, this is how I not only cleared up a nasty rash but keep it away. (My husband had the same problems, by the way only after having a heart attack);
I place my rings in a disposable plastic cup, sprinkle baking soda to nearly cover them, pour Hydrogen Peroxide to cover all and SLOWLY cover that with vinegar. I let them sit overnight and use a soft toothbrush and a small dab of toothpaste and scrub the rings inside & out, rinse well, DRY WELL and wash & dry my hands before putting them back on.
I do this once every 2 weeks faithfully and have not had a rash since.
I was told by the jeweler who inspects my rings every 6 mo. that it was not damaging them & he has not seen such a nice shine on a ring even at his store! Double plus! I hope this helps everyone as well. Rings collect a lot of yukky stuff. When your "fizz" settles in the morning, closely look at the "floaters" on the surface of the mixture. It will make you sick! No wonder our fingers were "sick"!

Brenda H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Fremont, Ohio

Click on graphic for "NickelAlert" test kit:
nonickel test kit

I have nickel allergy, too. I found a kit to test things for nickel at the Athena Allergy web site. It's call "Nickel Solution Detect and Protect." To use Nickel Alert, you rub some on the metal for 15-30 seconds with a cotton swab. If it turns the cotton swab pink, there's nickel in it. To use Nickel Guard, apply 2-3 coats to the item, waiting 15 minutes between coats. Retest with the Nickel Alert every so often to make sure you get the continued protection from the Nickel Guard. It's about $25 on the Athena Allergy Web Site, but I've seen it in other places online. You can probably ask your pharmacist about it.

Crystal Golias
- Seymour, Connecticut United States

Well after 2 years the same thing has happened also to me I said my husband bought me a Platinum ring? I thought maybe it was fake...I went to one of the best doctors in Miami, Dr. [name deleted by editor] at Mercy hospital and he said this was impossible for me to be allergic to platinum and not to white gold, so I changed my rings to the other hand and BINGO now I had that red flaky nasty itching on the other finger?
I think we are either ready for new rings or our hubby's picked the wrong rings for us!I can tell you I have put everything on my finger and the best result is just keeping it off!

Alexandra [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Miami, Florida

----
Ed. note: it was nice of you to compliment the good doctor, but we've deleted his name because some people don't want their names put out on the internet this way.

Hi all, just as an FYI, 99% of you here are definitely dealing with a fungal/yeast infection.
Commonly caused by, yes moisture between the ring and the skin. While drying etc is good, you can't really stop it, wider rings are obviously more prone as are rings with notches or cutouts. Sweat under the ring will greatly contribute to the rash. As to why it happens years later, normally rings get a little less round over the years, we tend to flatten the bottoms (palm sides ) a bit and that also contributes. Heres a few hints for you that work nicely. Obviously any anti-fungal, like athletes foot cream or powder work very well on your finger. So does female yeast infection over the counter remedies. Once you have ended the rash, do not just put the ring back on. While some people say boil it, I wouldn't do that, some rings have coatings on the gemstones for specific color effects, so be careful.
However, a brief soak in rubbing alcohol, or hydrogen peroxide and a light wash and dry with soap and water is just fine.
If you find this a recurring issue, visit your jeweler and have him or her round the band out and also see if they can stretch it a bit. Also the very cheap fix is to get a nice clear coat nail polish and coat the inside of the ring. Works great for men's rings especially.

Steve H
- Weymouth, Massachusetts

No-sting barrier

A. Hi
I found this discussion forum out of desperation when, after a year, I suddenly found that I was allergic to my platinum rings. I visited my jewelers and they suggested painting clear nail varnish onto the inside of the rings, which I did. This helped for a couple of days, but then the rash came back...BUT I have accidentally discovered a real solution- Silicone wound barrier spray. You can get it over the counter at chemists and it's usually used for people with things like stoma bags, etc. It forms an invisible, waterproof (so you can wash your hands without any worry of it coming off) barrier for my skin and I've had no more allergic reactions while using the spray. I wash and dry my fingers very carefully every morning, spray on the silicone spray and let it dry- then I put on my rings. I have to take them off at night still, but it's a small price to pay and saves me investing in metallurgy testing which I haven't got either the time or money to have done yet. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU....

Emma Reynolds
- Bham, United Kingdom

Q. I am having the same symptoms but now my ring won't come off. Is there something that I can do to start the healing process so I can get them off to clean them?

Krysta RODIGO
Stay at home mom - Hay, Virginia, USA

Q. What if I am allergic to silver? Would I be allergic to platinum as well?

Denise Stephens
- Warrensville Hts, Ohio USA

thumbsdownI have been married for 14 years and have always worn my platinum wedding ring. About 3 weeks ago I got this dark red ring under the ring. It was itchy and it stung. I just finally took my ring off yesterday in hopes that by not wearing it for a while, the rash will go away. It really is irritated. Will try hydrocortisone cream.

Cath Pfeifer
- Denver, Colorado US

Q. I have been having the same problems with red, flaky, burning skin on the sides of my finger. The ring is platinum plated Sterling that came from a reputable well known company so I was surprised to have this reaction. I would like to try the peroxide/vinegar solution but does anyone know if this will damage the ring because it is only plated?

Alanna Hayes
- carat, Texas USA

I have had the same issue with my wedding ring! I have had my ring for 2 years without any problems and now all of a sudden I have a red itchy rash - my skin flakes, red bumps/water blisters! Crazy that so many people have experienced the same issues! I have tried Neosporin, Benadryl, anti-fungal creams and it will go away and then as soon as I put the ring back on it comes back. Last night it was so itchy that I woke up! Thank you for all the posts! So glad I found this website.

Lisa Fitzpatrick
- Greenville, North Carolina

Yes, like almost everyone else I have developed a rash on the "back" of my ring fingers. But I have been wearing jewelry of various metals for over 55 years. I have known for many years that cheap pierced earrings caused intense itching which I suspect is from nickel because when I buy nickel-free cheap earrings I do not have any problems. It was about 10 years ago that I started purchasing 14k gold rings online from the 2 major TV retailers and then about 2 years after wearing the rings, it appeared that some kind of coating must wear off because it is then that I develop a rash. I wear my own wide gold wedding band on my left hand and my husband's (I'm a widow) wide gold wedding band on my right hand. Both these rings are 45 years old.

But I attempt to wear rings I purchased from the TV retailers on the middle fingers of both hands. (These are the rings that cause the problems.) I know these rings are made in China. I suspect that just as China has given us lead in the paint of children's toys and poisoned our pets, that it is virtually impossible to guess what might be in the gold or platinum or any other precious metal that they sell in the US. I would also suspect that many "good" jewelers are also sourcing materials from China - it's just a fact that in order to be competitive merchants are always looking for cheaper sources. It may also be that as the market looks to China for ever cheaper materials, the more reputable sources of quality materials will go out of business because they can't compete. I am going to try the "cleaning" suggestions and the nail varnish and will post back the results.

As to the body of chemistry of the YOUNG women vs the rest of us, I suspect that the younger you are, the more likely that the metals used in your newer rings have come from a source such as China regardless of the retailer you bought them from.

Georgette Cullen
- Phoenix, Arizona, USA

A. I have a white gold set of rings that are rhodium plated. I had the same problem, and was trying to find out what to do. I would take them off, clean them good, put triple antibiotic on my finger until it seemed to heal, then put the rings back on and the same thing would happen (a reddish rash under where the rings touched my skin). I have a ring on my right hand that this did not happen with, and I noticed that the rash was confined to the area where the diamonds were (so bacteria could have accumulated there due to moisture and caused a form of athletes foot). To test this possibility, I took off my rings (cleaned them and put them on the dresser to dry all night), put Lotrimin (athletes foot medication) around my ring finger, and put a band aid on it overnight. The next morning the rash was gone, I put my clean and dry rings, and haven't had a problem since. I hope people read this and I hope it helps them.

Kristi

Kristi Fletcher
- Waukon, Iowa, United States

Great to see many others are having the same issues I have been. I developed an allergy just as described here after wearing my platinum wedding rings for 7 years and after having children. I do suspect that there are a variety of reasons this is occurring - environmental with the water and soap ingredient seems to be key. This, combined with having my hands in water far more than I ever did before children may be the true culprit (rather than hormonal as some have suggested). I am washing my hands more frequently than ever. I am going try the peroxide/vinegar solution and see if that works. I went to a dermatologist and was prescribed a steroid cream, but I can't use that forever. It does clear up the redness, but it always comes back after wearing the rings a couple of days. Good luck to everyone here! And thank you for having a forum devoted to this.

Suzanne A. [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Arlington, Virginia, USA

A. Hi
I am a bespoke jeweller in the UK and an expert on precious metals. Platinum isn't really a known allergen so real allergies to platinum are very rare indeed. However, most people who think they are allergic to their engagement rings are actually allergic to tiny amounts of detergent (usually liquid soap) which get stuck behind the opening of the stone behind their engagement rings. This causes a nasty contact dermititis which is a nasty, itchy, flaky rash. Here is an article I wrote about this subject. I am a jewellery designer myself and I have sensitive skin and had this exact same reaction myself so I know about this from both sides!
www.articlesnatch.com/Article/Help---I-Think-I-m-Allergic-To-My-Engagement-Ring/2073261
I hope this helps somebody,

Harriet Kelsall
- Hitchin, Herts, UK

Q. I AM SO HAPPY THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM. SO ANNOYING HAVING A BEAUTIFUL DIAMOND PLATINUM RING WHICH I KEEP IN A JEWELLERY BOX. WONDERING ABOUT THE VINEGAR AND PEROXIDE, AS IN, WOULD IT DAMAGE THE DIAMONDS. HAVE TRIED ALL THE OTHER CREAMs, etc. AND SWITCHING TO THE OTHER HAND, BUT IT'S THE SAME.

Margaret Lee
- Dublin, Ireland

A. Hi, Margaret.

As you see, we've heard no reports of damage to diamonds from this cleaning process, but that's not a guarantee. And I'd make sure the temperature change was gradual and the ring is not bouncing around hitting stuff.

thumbs up signAfter almost 2 months of trying every eczema and rash combination I could find, last night I followed the instructions and cleaned my ring in vinegar & peroxide followed by a 5 minute boil in the same solution. It's amazing!!! I've worn my ring all day with no irritation and in fact the ever present swelling on my ring finger has gone down. This solution works!!!

Liza Corsey
- Los Angeles, California

thumbs up signOk so I just wanted to say that this site has been very helpful...I'm not really sure what exact type of metal my ring is but I am having the same thing happen...then it will go away for a little while and come back again. I don't wanna get rid of my ring because it was given to me by a very good friend who passed away. I wear it every day..through everything and I also consider it to be good luck also! I'm not really superstitious but I do know that a lot more good things happen when I'm wearing it then when I'm not! Thanks again this has been very helpful!

Cherry [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- las vegas, Nevada, usa

thumbs up signI have platinum rings. The rash is just a result of bacteria and whatnot that builds up over time. The solution is to boil the rings in 1 part hydrogen peroxide, 2 parts vinegar for 15 minutes. I do it once a month, and have no issues. Trust me, it's not a metal allergy (I have an allergy to gold, and this is far different). Trust me, this works!!!

Genny De Suave
- Atlanta, Georgia USA

I am stunned that there are so many people having the same issue as me. Got married in 2004 and within two years my white gold wedding rings caused a severe reaction and it looked as if something was eating away at my finger. After removing my rings and putting them back on I realized it was them causing the problem. I got rid of the white gold rings and had some amazing yellow gold 18K ones made, now about 4 years later I am getting the same reaction from the yellow gold. We are coming into summer and I wonder if it's the heat that's trapping moisture underneath or if my sensitivity is getting worse with age. It is so disheartening not being able to wear them, I will look at doing the vinegar & peroxide I think. My mother suffers from extreme dermatitis and I have been having the same thing happen with 9K gold rings; life is stressful as well so I am considering a metals sensitivity test.

Erin Hancock
Hobbyist - New Zealand

thumbs up signI had the same problem with my platinum engagement ring. The wedding ring wasn't a problem - so I knew it wasn't an allergy. It felt like some sort of flesh-eating bacteria, to be honest, so I found I could clear it up with Bacitracin and Neosporin. BUT the vinegar and peroxide remedy worked WONDERS on my skin and I'm fairly sure boiling the ring in salt water killed whatever else was hiding in the crevices. I noticed as the rash healed that it matches the pattern of crevices on the underside of the ring.

Annie Kelleher
- Canton, Connecticut, USA

In response to:

"Yet my understanding is that metal allergy is absolutely skyrocketing in young women, and is not nearly so much of a problem in men or in older women. So, while it is not impossible that young women have a different hormone situation that makes them more subject to problems with aluminum, I personally have been open to believing the reports that strongly link metal allergy to nickel-based body piercings (which seem to match that demographic very well), and slow to ask these young women to blame it on their deodorant or antacid."

I wonder if the problem could be due to birth control pills (which obviously change the hormonal environment). After 8 years, I recently, at 34 years of age, became allergic to my white gold wedding ring. I do not body pierce (finding it rather gross), but I do take a pill. I also have other allergies. It just occurred to me that young women, rather than men, or older women are more likely to be taking birth control pills. Thoughts?

Suzy J [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Detroit, Michigan, USA

A. Hi, Suzy. I am not an epidemiologist and I have no medical qualifications whatsoever, so I am unable to comment on your posting except to say thanks for raising a possibility that hadn't occurred to me.

thumbs up signI just wanted to say thanks for the advice in this thread - the vinegar and peroxide solution worked wonders for me. You could see the bubbles rising from the ring as the nasties were killed off - really gross but something really satisfying about it too! I soaked in the vinegar and peroxide for about an hour and then boiled it in water in a tea strainer. I boiled it from room temp water for about ten minutes - I think that bringing the water to boil with the ring in it might be a good idea because it won't 'shock' the materials with a temperature change. Finger is all better, ring is really shiny and lovely. I nearly had a heart attack doing it but it seems to have worked!! Thanks for all the help and advice

Brid Dunne
- Limerick, Ireland

A. I have a white gold wedding band with about 10 diamonds in it. I wore it for a year and no rash until about 6 months ago. This problem has nothing to do with allergies. The problem is that from wearing our rings as long as we have, we have worn down some of the gold/platinum on the back where the pointy part of the diamond is, leaving our skin unprotected. The reason we are getting these blisters is because the pointy part of the diamond is making small cuts in our skin. Also, if you have gained weight or have bloating in your fingers (which I have) the problem worsens because now your skin is even closer to the sharp part of the diamond or diamonds.

To God be the glory! When doctors/experts can't figure out the real problem, prayer always works. God knows everything! :)

Shelly O'Malley
- Madison, Wisconsin USA

I know everyone is saying that Rhodium allergies are very rare and say that you're reacting the nickel that's mixed with the gold, however I know I am allergic to Rhodium. I wear a lot of cheap jewelry and the only thing I've ever reacted to is Rhodium. The 'silver' jewelry by Lia Sophia is triple plated Rhodium over copper. The triple plating is supposed to be an excellent coating, it takes my skin about 2 weeks to eat through it. I purchased a ring in Italy made from Rhodium over nickel and my skin ate through that in about a week.

Sam Price
- St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Ring Cutter

Ring Cutter

Q. Thanks for all of this information. It is good to know that I'm not alone in this weird reaction. The bad news is that now my finger is so red and swollen that I can't get my ring off. It just happened a few weeks ago. I had been taking it off at night and when I was at home but I got fed up with the stupid rash and wanted to wear my beautiful ring and now I can't get it off. I'm so annoyed and in a lot of pain. I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow but if you have any ideas on how to get this off without cutting off my finger than I'd be so grateful!

Amy Hann
- Springfield, Virginia

A. Hi Amy. Sorry for your problem. If you can't get it off with soapy water, the doctor will probably cut off your ring or send you somewhere to have it done. Then your ring will have to be repaired by a jeweler, so maybe you should just have the jeweler cut it off before your doctor visit.

If you are losing circulation in that finger, an emergency room or maybe even your fire department can cut it off now.

Thank you all for posting...I have been so frustrated by this painful rash. I, too, have a platinum ring and after wearing it for about 6 years it started causing this rash. I swear it happened after I had my first child. It wasn't so bad before, but now after 11 years and my second baby it is horrible, within hours of putting my ring back on after I haven't worn it for weeks (and my finger is healed) it starts itching and breaking out. I thought it was from weight gain, but then I lost the weight. I thought it was from dirt/bacteria so I cleaned it with all kinds of stuff. I have heard about having it re-dipped, so we'll have to see if I'm allergic to the platinum then it might be worth it. First, I'm going to try the peroxide/vinegar solution and hopefully this works.

Carol M. [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Oakley, California, USA

A. Hello everyone. I was experiencing the same thing. I had my wedding ring for about a year and then Bam! One day it starts to irritate my finger, turning it red, inflamed, and even swollen over time -- which can be very dangerous! I did a little research and here's what I did. They say it's highly unlikely to be allergic to the Rhodium coating they usually put on gold rings to make them more durable (not that expensive). So what happens over time that coating wears down from everyday use and the other metals from your gold ring you may be allergic to. Hence why it takes so long for a reaction. So I took my ring back to the jeweler, had them coat the ring in Rhodium again, then I now put deodorant on my ring finger in the morning to keep my finger from perspiring and you know what ... No More irritation!! I just figured it only gets irritated when you perspire or your finger gets wet and the metals are allowed to get into the skin. So what keeps you dry and stops perspiring? Deodorant. Try it, what do you have to lose? We all want to keep our beautiful rings that mean so much to us so give it a try!! It works for me no problem ever since and you may have to get your ring dipped every so often because that rhodium coating does wear off. So that's all. Thanks everyone -- I hope this helps you,like it did for me!

Amy [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Rochester, Michigan

Thanks Amy. If deodorant actually keeps fingers from sweating it's quite a clever idea.

Q. Hi All, my problem is slightly different because within 1 week of wearing my beautiful new white gold rings which I bought in the States my rash started. So I think it may be the nickel as I do have sensitive skin and eczema and have problems with cheaper costume jewellery. Do you think that the peroxide and vinegar will work as I don't think the bacteria you are talking about could have built up within 1 week of wear? Many thanks in advance.

Catherine

Catherine Wilson
- Monflanquin, France

A. Hi Catherine. It certainly sounds like nickel rash, which probably won't be helped with peroxide and vinegar. Sadly, once you've been exposed to too much nickel and have acquired the allergy, it's for life. Although nickel is not allowed in jewelry or items in intimate contact with skin in the European Union, we have no such consumer protections in the USA.

I'd suggest seeing a doctor to confirm that you've acquired nickel allergy. If so, you must now check all jewelry (and jeans, bras, or anything with metal in it) that you buy in the USA for nickel; if that's not practical, you can't buy such items in the USA anymore.

thumbs up signThank you to finishing.com and all of you who have posted you problems and solutions/results on here. I too was having a rash underneath my Platinum wedding ring set. At first I thought it was due to cleaning and having my hands wet a lot. Then I thought it was due to cold weather, but when the problem was getting worse with the red, dry cracked skin that would get little clear blisters that would pop, ooze and then burn and itch, I just couldn't take it anymore! The rash started to spread up my knuckle and up the back of my hand. It was so bad that I never wanted to show my hand or my ring to anymore in fear that they would think I had a disease. I would occasionally take my ring off (sometimes for days) to let my finger have a break, but as soon as I would put my ring back on the rash would come right back (so frustrating). So one day I found this site and started reading everyone's comments and decided to try the Vinegar/Peroxide solution and IT WORKED!!! I took a little glass bowl and put 2 parts (2 tsp) White Distilled Vinegar to 1 part (1 tsp) Hydrogen Peroxide and let my rings sit in the solution for an hour then rinsed them off and then boiled them for 5 minutes in water (was too afraid to leave them for too long), then let them dry. I then decided to do the same 2:1 Vinegar/Peroxide solution and soaked my finger and in it for a half and hour and then rinse in hot water and to my wonderful surprise it worked. I have been Painful Rash free for almost 2 Years now. I have read that vinegar has a way of helping and restoring the pH balance in people's skin. I now use 1:2 Apple Cider Vinegar/Water as a toner on my face to help clean, tone and lighten my acne scares and dark spot. I also drink 2 tsp with water before I eat a meal and it has helped me to feel full and eat less, helping with my 15 weight lose. Got to love the Natural wonders of Vinegar. Hope this helps anyone who is going through this.

Alisha Chastain
- Elk Grove, California

Q. I've been having the same problem with my engagement ring that everyone else seems to be having, and I'm curious to see if the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide would work for me. My only concern is that instead of a diamond, the center stone on my engagement ring is a lab created emerald. I am wondering if anyone else has experience with this solution who has an emerald in their ring.

Rachel Anderson
- Huntsville, Texas, United States

Q. Hi everyone I have been married for over ten years and about a year and a half ago I started developing the same dry irritation on my ring finger,so I started wearing a ring less, about two months ago I stopped wearing my ring all together but the rash continues to get worse and spread to other finger. Does anyone know what could be causing it to continue to be irritated even though I no longer wear my ring?

patricia jenkins
- Raleigh, North Carolina USA

Q. How many on this thread have chronic pain disorders? I'm beginning to think mine is just that. Doesn't matter WHAT kind of metal, gives me what looks and feels like poison ivy. Watches do it to me, too, even plastic backed ones where no metal touches my skin. Only place I can wear jewelry of any kind more than a couple hours is with hoop earrings. I really would appreciate knowing if a large percentage of folks on this thread have fibro, chronic fatigue, ME, Ehlers Danlos, etc. Thanks in advance!

Lacey Malliard
- Hot Springs, Arkansas, USA

Q. I originally had a platinum engagement ring and wedding band which was totally fine until about 4 months after I had my daughter at which point I developed the same dry, itchy, irritated rash everyone talks about. My jeweler explained that some women become allergic to different metals due to hormones after giving birth. I had the ring remade in white gold (after testing a white gold ring for a few weeks) and eventually the rash came back even with the new metal. Recently when I wear my ring I not only develop a rash on my ring finger almost instantly but I am also developing a sort of sympathy rash on my right hand even when I don't have a ring on my hand. Does this happen to anyone else?

Suzanne Shatzel
- Buffalo, New York, USA

thumbs up signI've had ring rash for about 8 months I tried the peroxide and vinegar mix. 10 minutes later there were things floating in the bowl; after 30 minutes I removed the rings and scrubbed them with unscented hand soap, then boiled them in water for about 10 minutes. The ring feels so much better and so far no more rash.

Latoya Springs
- CHARLOTTE North Carolina

Q. Can anyone tell me how much vinegar and how much peroxide to use? This would be for 2 rings.Thanks.

Gail Green
- Phila Pennsylvania USA

A. Hi Gail. Several people suggested 2 parts vinegar to 1 part peroxide. How much you need depends on how big your pot is and how you arrange them. I'd probably put a chopstick over the pot rim, then use string to hang the rings into solution rather than letting them bounce on the bottom when the solution boils. I would start with room temperature everything. Good luck.

thumbs up signThank you all so much for posting. I was devastated to not be able to wear my beautiful platinum wedding ring set because of a terrible rash that developed during my second pregnancy after 5 years of no issue. The hydrogen peroxide/ vinegar and boil olution worked for me. So grateful!
Did not damage my beautiful very high end platinum ring.

Adrienne Gorge
- NOVATO, California, usa

Q. What type of vinegar to use I am having little red bumps on my ring finger and they will not go away I love my ring my husband got me I need help thank you

Ashley Keyes
- Easley South Carolina Pickens

A. Hi Ashley. No harm is white vinegar, but I doubt that it makes any difference. But nickel allergy is also a real thing, and unfortunately that's what it may be.

thumbs up signI was about to get rid of the rash with cortisone cream but it came back when I put the ring back on. Trying boiling in peroxide and vinegar now!! Thanks for the tips.

Jodie radford
- Kansas City, Missouri usa

Q. Hi. I used to wear and 18 karat ring years ago with no problems. I have recently married and have a 9 kt white gold wedding ring. I have a dry red rash on the top and white skin underneath where it looks as though not enough air is getting to the finger. Do I boil it?

Don Reed
- Crawley. West Sussex, England

!! Wow, so many with the same exact problem I have been having! I am married 6 years and after 4 years I had the red blustery rash that itches and burns when I wore my rings. It started in the summer when my hands are wet a lot because of playing with water tables and sprinklers with the kids. It was irritating but as Fall came my rash was gone which I thought for good! But a year goes by and another summer it's back! It's now Fall and my hands are not wet as much but here I am still wondering how to get rid of this rash! As soon as I take my rings off and later my hands with every time of lotion and ointment I can find it looks better but as soon as I put my rings back on it comes back in the matter of hours! It literally woke me up middle of the night it was so itchy then it got a bit painful! I'm going to finally try boiling my rings in the peroxide and vinegar and wait to put my rings back on until the rash clears. I hope it does the trick! It makes me so sad I can't wear my rings because of this.

Margaret Arcasdia
- Rochester New York US

thumbs up signThank you so much for this info!! I have been suffering with this rash for 5 years now on my finger and have only been able to wear my wedding ring for special occasions as the rash will reappear within a day! I am certainly going to give the boiling method with vinegar, etc. a try as it seems to be the obvious solution to the problem.
I noticed some people wondering about a nickel allergy. I wondered as well but if you tape an actual nickel to the inside of your arm for 24 hours you will see if you have an allergy. To my surprise, I didn't react to the nickel so here I was trying to buy a nickel free ring to replace my wedding ring and that would not have make any difference. -Will keep you informed about how the boiling method works for me. High hopes!!

Patty Cole
- Penticton, BC Canada

thumbs up sign I'm so glad I found this post. I've been married a month and I have the red itchy poison ivy look on my finger. I didn't know what I should do. I feel terrible when I don't wear my ring but it causes so much irritation
I take it off every night. I've used alcohol swabs and all kind of creams on my finger but it's not going away. So I'm going to try the 2:1 vinegar and peroxide mix. So ill let y'all know if it works for me.

Leslie Shepard
- Spartanburg, South Carolina

Q. Can anyone tell me if you have to add water to the pot with the vinegar and the peroxide? And exactly how much of each ingredient? My ring finger looks so gross and itchy ... I can't wait to try this method and see if it works! Thanks so much for anyone's quick response.

Gina Piro
- Eatontown, New Jersey, USA

A. Hi Gina ...
Jennifer G started the discussion, mentioning 2 parts vinegar, 1 part peroxide. No one has mentioned trying any other ratio; I doubt that it's critical. Most people seem to have soaked in the mix for about an hour, then boiled in water for 10-15 minutes.

Q. I just boiled my rings and they turned black as two are silver and the other is rhodium plated over silver. What can I do now?

Eva A Auguston
- Clarksville, Tennessee

A. Hi Eva. Never put different metals together in a conductive solution, as one of them can sometimes de-plate and plate out onto the other. So do one ring at a time next time, and for any other fixes. When you're stuck in a hole it may not be a good idea to dig deeper, so maybe a visit to the jeweler is in order :-)

But we do have many threads about removing tarnish from silver. Rubbing toothpaste is one solution mentioned in, for example, letters 43774 and 45756; aluminum foil and washing soda is another solution mentioned in, for example, letter 4785. Good luck.

Q. Can you do this with a sterling silver ring?

Keasha Bellamy
- Owensboro, Kentucky

A. Hi Keasha. Several people on this thread, including Eva just above, have reported that it turned their silver rings black. While you can probably get them shiny again with toothpaste, per the answers we just gave Eva, I doubt that anyone will put a finer point on the answer for you. Good luck.

thumbs up sign Hello everyone. I was doing research for my boyfriend online because a Titanium ring I bought for him a year ago has been giving him rashes here and there.
Upon my research I concluded that,

1. He needs to take off the ring regularly and wash his hands more. Bacteria grows under the ring over time. So washing will help.

2. The peroxide/vinegar technique that was mentioned earlier for cleaning! Thoroughly clean the ring until it's nice and shiny, making sure you get all the bacteria off.

3. After cleaning the ring, COAT the inside of it with clear nail polish.

I think this sounds like valid steps that I will try out soon. Hope it helps!

Kameyah Dou
UW Student - Marysville, Washington, US

! I just can't believe how many people have the same issue.I developed this rash in my early twenties took me forever to get rid of. Now I am in my 60s and it's back again. My finger is a red rash blistering hot mess only on the sides of my finger. I have gone without wearing the ring for weeks it heals put it on back again. I read to also put a clear coat of polish on the bottom and sides of the ring. I will be trying the vinegar peroxide cleaning too. Good luck everyone! Happy healing.

Janet York
- Clinton Township, Michigan

thumbsdownI just want to add to this thread that I had briefly read over the comments and I had been experiencing the same rash from my ring. I was so excited to finally be able to wear my ring again!! I let me rings sit overnight in a vinegar and peroxide mix. I woke up and RUINED ALL MY RINGS!! It should really be notated in the title of this thread that this is a fix for platinum or gold. I am so upset!

Laura DeLara
[not supplied]

A. Sorry for your troubles, Laura. Many people have reported that the tarnish on silver rings can be easily removed with toothpaste and a cloth; please see letter 43774 and see if that works for you please.

Despite some readers having claimed success with soaking overnight, overnight is a very different thing than 15-30 minutes, and I would be cautious about that being safe for any rings let alone silver ones because that might be sufficient time for pitting or other deep damage; others have also said that their silver rings turned black, but they haven't gotten back to us about attempted removal of the blackening.

Q. I have the same problem with the skin irritation as well with my Pandora Ring which is sterling silver. Will my ring be okay if I boil it in the vinegar and peroxide? I just don't want to damage it.

Kailey Pour
- Troy, Ohio, United States

A. Hi Kailey. At least three women on this thread, including Laura immediately above, said that it turned their silver rings black. Nobody has ever gotten back to us regarding our suggestions to try silver polish or toothpaste to fix the blackening, so we don't know how severe or permanent their blackening was. Or maybe they got to like the blackened look ... we do have several threads on this site about how to blacken silver :-)

It wouldn't surprise me if the vinegar & peroxide also tarnished low karat gold, since that may contain a good amount of copper and/or silver. Still, when someone badly wants to wear their ring, but they can't because the skin irritation is too maddening, and they've already tried other things, accepting a certain amount of risk may be the only practical approach; life is short and sometimes once you have a lead on a potentially good way to do something you have to try it; none of us can spend months researching the absolutely perfect way to paint a birdhouse :-)

Luck and Regards,

thumbs up sign So happy to have found this site. An answer to one question "does anyone have chronic pain or fibromyalgia that this is happened to with the rash under the rings...?". Yes I do have both severe chronic pain and a severe fibromyalgia as well.

I do want to thank you all for describing that rash; mine was swollen and red & itchy & Flaky & irritating and OMG I'm going directly into the kitchen after I finish this post and put these Rings, all seven of them that I wear 24/7, and it's part of some type of boiling water and suspend them some type of way and then soak them in the vinegar and peroxide. Just too many people have recommended this and had it work for them. Nothing beats a failure but a try and this is just an awful and ridiculous rash for someone that is especially a jewellery lover and gemstone collector.

Also, to answer one other question, yes I do wear a real emerald not a lab-created and also develop the rash under that, and I also where a lab-created 5 carat blue spinel with Platinum over sterling silver that I've gotten that horrid rash pretty much on the top and the sides of my fingers like everyone else it doesn't seem to go all the way around my fingers. Thank you to all of you I hope you have saved me from a lot of irritating itching and suffering. Now perhaps I can return to showing off and loving all of my rings and still wear them 24/7. Everybody take care and God bless.

PS I'm licensed and trained manicurist for many years and never have I seen this type of rash on anyone's hands so again I want to say thank you for this blog.

sara_white
sara white
manicurist - Goodettsville, Tennessee USA

A. Good luck Sara. But don't let rings of different metals touch each other while in an acid solution like vinegar.

1     2     3