Boiling Rings in Peroxide and Vinegar Stops Rash (page 2)

jewelry banner  red sky plating banner

Synopsis: The most helpful part of this thread is that dozens of women reported elimination of the rash by boiling their rings in vinegar & peroxide. You may want to start on page 1.

1     2     3

Just wanted to weigh in on those who have remarked on two things:

First, that a platinum allergy is impossible or nearly so. This is absolutely false. If you search the medical journals you will find several studies showing that a platinum allergy, while not very common, is certainly not nearly impossible or exceedingly rare.

Second, that aluminum cannot be related to allergies. This is also false. Aluminum has a very, very potent effect on the human body. Aluminum is the ONLY vaccine adjuvant licensed for use in the United States. An adjuvant is anything that can cause the body to create antibodies (to simplify it all). Aluminum is used in vaccines because it causes the body to react to the harmless antigens (altered virus or bacteria) that the body would not otherwise respond to at all. Without the aluminum, many vaccines would be completely useless. Aluminum practically FORCES the body to create antibodies, whether or not it is adsorbed to any particular protein or anything else. Studies have shown that you can inject aluminum into an arm and the antigen into a leg and still get the same result (immunity). Since allergies occur when the body creates antibodies to harmless substances, and aluminum causes the body to create antibodies to substances to which it is not in any way bound, it is extremely simplistic to believe that, because aluminum is abundant in the environment, it cannot cause allergies. Draw your own conclusions, but as a researcher in the field, I can assure you that aluminum is almost certainly a factor in the increase in the incidence of allergies. We are exposed to more now than we have ever been in the history of humanity - a LOT more.

Rebecca H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Corpus Christi, Texas

Thanks, Rebecca. I am from the metal finishing field and am fielding the questions based on experience with nickel allergy in industry and from what I've read. We're glad to see someone with professional research experience in metal allergies weigh in.

We'll be happy to have as much enlightenment as you have time to offer.

Still, speaking as an amateur, I would have guessed that men and older women wear as much aluminum-based deodorant as young women, consume as much aluminum in antacids, and ingest as much from pots & pans. Yet my understanding is that metal allergy is absolutely skyrocketing in young women, and is not nearly so much of a problem in men or in older women. So, while it is not impossible that young women have a different hormone situation that makes them more subject to problems with aluminum, I personally have been open to believing the reports that strongly link metal allergy to nickel-based body piercings (which seem to match that demographic very well), and slow to ask these young women to blame it on their deodorant or antacid.

Anecdotally confirming that demographic, the overwhelming majority of postings on almost every other subject on this site are from men, but we have very few metal allergy complaints from men. (If any men would like to report a metal allergy here we'd appreciate it -- and please tell us whether you have any piercings). Thanks again.

Writing in response to Ted's request for males with an irritation/allergy apparently due to Platinum rings. I am 24 and have had my ring for less than three months and am experiencing the exact same symptoms as all have written about here, red rash-like irritation directly underneath a Platinum Wedding Band. I have never had a piercing of any sort. The band is a product of Benchmark Jewelry. I will try the Vinegar/Hydrogen Peroxide solution tonight in hopes of alleviating the irritation. Thanks to all for the advice!

Chris M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Nashville, Tennessee

Q. I just wanted to thank finishing.com for this forum and for all of those who have posted. Four years of marriage with and suddenly the same rash that I assume most of you have had. I am trying the 2:1 distilled white vinegar:hydrogen peroxide [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] solution now. Extremely grateful for all the info...thanks.

Joshua T [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Clemson, South Carolina

thumbsdown

I tried the peroxide and vinegar. No luck...rash came back. So weird; after four years of wearing the ring and suddenly: rash! Oh well, let me know if anyone figures this out for sure. Thanks!

- Clemson, South Carolina

(2007)

Wow! Who knew so many folks had all these issues with their rings!
After wearing my engagement ring which is white gold for 5 months with no issues, I put my wedding band on a couple weeks ago and all was fine until a few days later when I got this dry, red itchy rash on the inside of my finger.
I put a and d ointment on it and it sort of cleared up, so I put my ring back on and got the rash again.
This is so weird, I have had my rings on my other hand while my finger heals and it's fine on the other hand, no rash or anything.
So I think that you have to make sure that after you have washed your hands or anything like that, that you take the rings off and dry them very well, and your hand.
I'm going to try the solution thing that has been suggested and let you know how that works.
Thanks for posting that it's a big help!

Jen H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Denver, Colorado

thumbs up signGotta love the internet

As others have said, it is a relief to know that many others have had this issue. I've worn my platinum engagement ring for one year and the band for six months without incident.

Now, the rash returns every time I put the rings back on (even when it seems to have cleared).

I will try the creams and cleaning solutions. If it doesn't work, I'll head to the doctor.

Thanks everyone. Good luck!

Jennifer P [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Boston, Massachusetts

Q. Has anyone here had a problem with palladium rings? I have an 18k white gold ring that I began experiencing problems with during my first pregnancy (within one year of getting the ring) and by the middle of my second pregnancy, the red itchy sores on my ring finger had begun to blister and weep clear fluid. So frustrating! After researching on the internet I assumed I had a nickel allergy and have been considering trying to replace the ring with either platinum or palladium - but considering how many people seem to have those allergies as well, I am wondering if I shouldn't go back to the drawing board. Maybe I should get a metal allergy test, and if not allergic to nickel, perhaps I could try the peroxide-vinegar solution... Also, does anyone have experience with Titanium? At this point, I'll settle for any metal that won't give me a rash... especially with two small children, I feel quite uncomfortable when not wearing a wedding band.

Thanks for any info you can pass my way...

Andrea b [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- San Diego, California

thumbs up signThank heavens for the internet.

I thought I was all alone, until stumbling on this site.. Thank everyone for all of the information. I've been wearing a white 14k white gold wedding ring for 3 years, and started to get an irritated, itchy, now blistering skin underneath on the front of my finger. I left the ring off my hand for about a day or so, and it cleared up. Wore it and it kept starting again. I wore in on my other hand for just a day, and started to see symptoms on that hand as well.

I've tried jewelry cleaner, alcohol and nothing has changed.

I'm going to try the cleaning solution with the peroxide and vinegar and boil the ring (scary).

If this doesn't work, I'll go to the doctor and get tested for metal allergies.

Naomi J [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Chicago, Illinois

I can't believe I found this site but I too have developed the rash under my engagement ring after wearing it for 8 months with no problem. I went to the dermatologist today and he gave a prescription for .1% fluocinonide cream and also a recommendation for Theraseal Hand Protectant. It's like a liquid glove you can paint on your finger before putting on your ring which would inhibit contact. My ring is PT950 and while it is rare, he said I could be allergic to the platinum and also that frequent hand washing had most likely exacerbated the problem. He didn't recommend testing for metal allergies yet but that whatever it was, once an allergy "turns on" it takes some work to make it go away. He was confident I wouldn't have to have my ring dipped so hopefully it helps. Anyone come into problems (ruining their ring) by the peroxide combo?

Karen W [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Charlotte, North Carolina

I have been married for 12 years and I had a diamond gold ring. Never once have I gotten a rash from that ring in twelve years. I don't think it has anything to do with soap build up or fungus. It obviously has something to do with being platinum. I got a very expensive platinum ring for Christmas 2006 and wore it for 6 months with no problems. After six months I noticed that the finish seemed dull and one day my finger felt like it was on fire. I have had a red rash ever since(as it clears up it gets dry and scaly). I will take off the ring for a few days and it will clear up and as soon as I put it on immediately I get a rash. I can wear silver, gold , and even fake cheap jewelry and this is the only thing I am allergic too. I feel like the ring is coated and once this coating wears off your screwed. There should be some kind of disclosure when purchasing a platinum ring that states this is an often reaction. After reading all these cases with exactly the same situation I can't believe platinum is even allowed to be used!

Melissa C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Simi Valley, California

I am a jeweler specializing in estate jewelry, who has suddenly begun to experience the same type of reaction to my own wedding band, a wide antique platinum and diamond band. My symptoms mirror those referenced here. I have worn my wedding band (90% Platinum, 10% Iridium, Rhodium plated) for MANY years without any problem until two weeks ago.

On my right hand I always wear a 14k gold ring, and on my wrists I wear (also constantly) an 18k watch and a very wide 14k cuff bracelet.

Clearly a nickel allergy doesn't come into play here.

When my ring finger healed I donned a similar design wide band 14k rose gold and diamond ring and experienced no problem. I then switched back to the platinum ring and within a matter of hours the severe allergic reaction was back.

The only thing we all may have in common is chemical additives to our water supply. Thoughts?

Cynthia G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Stuart, Florida

Many of those who have posted here, myself included, report a physical anomaly which resembles a chemical burn.

The reports are literally all over the map. My instinctive reaction is to look for the single common denominator in disparate geographical locations.

My guess would be our water supply and a serious lack of proper monitoring needed to achieve the correct quantities of chemicals being added thereto.

Chlorine is a long time additive to our drinking water.

Fluorine as an additive is now a good bit more controversial, with a number of negative reports about the effects of fluoridated water finally surfacing.

Is there the potential of a chemical interaction between platinum and overly fluoridated water which, after hand washing, might remain trapped under a platinum ring, creating an acidic reaction, resulting in a chemical burn to the skin?

"The action of fluorine on platinum has been studied with special care. It is evident, in view of the corrosion of the positive platinum terminal of the electrolysis apparatus, that nascent fluorine rapidly attacks platinum at a temperature of - 23°. At 100°, however, fluorine gas appears to be without action on platinum"...."Its behavior with water is peculiar. With a small quantity of water a brownish-yellow solution is formed, which, however, in a very short time becomes warm and the fluoride decomposes ; platinic hydrate is precipitated, and free hydrofluoric acid remains in solution. If the quantity of water is greater, the solution may be preserved for some minutes without decomposition. If the liquid is boiled, it decomposes instantly."

Is any of this relative? Thoughts from any of you scientists out there?

- Stuart, Florida

thumbsdownI have the same problem! oh wow. I can't believe so many people are having this reaction to the platinum bands. I wore my engagement ring for a year & 1/2 and my wedding band for 3 months and now I am breaking out in the rash. my skin is red and I have bumps like poison ivy. I keep taking my rings off and putting on lotion. but it won't go away.
it gets very itchy and dry to the point it feels painful

Karissa M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Coventry, Rhode Island

Click on graphic for "NickelAlert" test kit:
nonickel test kit

My husband and I chose platinum wedding rings 6+ years ago, and we've been wearing them without problems ever since.

About two weeks ago, I noticed a few little blisters on my middle finger. Then they appeared to spread to my ring finger, and I was worried it would become difficult to remove my ring, so I took it off. Low and behold, the skin under my ring was also beginning to blister, and within a day I had a freaky ring-shaped blister where my ring should have been.

The doctor thought it was an allergic reaction to a new soap or chemical (I had thought poison ivy or something had gotten under my ring) and proscribed a steroid cream to suppress the reaction.

It's getting better, but the area where my ring should be is still quite red and looks far worse than then other areas on my hand. It makes me wonder if a reaction to the ring started it all, as opposed to something "spreading" underneath the ring.

This site has definitely gotten me wondering!

Tess P [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Colorado Springs, Colorado

Q. As everyone else that visits the forum... WOW! I am so glad that I am not a circus freak with the allergy to the wedding ring! I get the dry flaky skin between my wedding ring finger and my middle finger and it turns bright red. There are times when I cannot decide which is worse the itchiness or the burning.

I took my 14k gold wedding ring/engagement combo off and put it on the same finger of my other hand. Back on my wedding ring finger I have placed my Grandmother's engagement ring.

I have NO problems with the rings like this! The rash/problem heals and things are great. As soon as I switch the rings back to their proper places... BAM! I have a rash with in 12 hours!

Has anyone else been able to wear the ring that bothers them on their other hand without having any problems?

Donna

Donna G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Edgewater Park, New Jersey

OMG, I thought I was just crazy but googled the subject "rash on ring finger" and all of this information popped up. Thank goodness! I, too, have a platinum wedding band, engagement ring and just recently added an eternity ring to the set. I've also been wearing the wedding set for five years with no problem. The rash is exactly as everyone has described, red, itchy and with small blisters, almost like the rings burned my finger. I had to take the rings off for almost a month before the rash, turned dry, would peel and then finally went away. But within two days of putting my rings back on, it's back! I'm trying the peroxide/vinegar solution as I type this and have had my rings soaking overnight. I will have to wait until my finger is cleared up, but will post with the result later. Thanks to everyone who shared, now I don't feel like I'm a nut!

Susie G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Birmingham, Alabama

Q. I had commented earlier and have since tried the vinegar/peroxide solution with no success. The rash came back just like before. I, then took the rings back to the store where they were purchased (a long-standing reputable jeweler here in town) and without hesitation the lady told me that what I had was a "soap-burn" caused by washing my hands frequently. She said it is caused by the lye in the soap and she sees it all the time. She said to make sure that my hands are dried completely before putting my rings back on and to take them off at night and when I'm at home. Also she said to clean the rings more frequently to remove the soap build-up. Does anyone have any thoughts on this conclusion?

- Birmingham, Alabama

A. Susie G said "I, then took the rings back to the store where they were purchased (a long-standing reputable jeweler here in town) and without hesitation the lady told me that what I had was a "soap-burn" caused by washing my hands frequently. She said it is caused by the lye in the soap and she sees it all the time. She said to make sure that my hands are dried completely before putting my rings back on and to take them off at night and when I'm at home. Also she said to clean the rings more frequently to remove the soap build-up. Does anyone have any thoughts on this conclusion?"

I am a soap maker and I can tell you that there is NO LYE in soap (unless it is badly made, in which case whatever skin it touches would be raw and red, not just under rings!), all the lye is used up by the chemical reaction (saponification) that makes soap out of the ingredients used, namely lye and fats. The truth is, most commercial "soaps" sold these days, unless they are specifically labeled with the word "soap" are not soap at all, they are detergents, possibly mixed with soap, which do dry your skin. (see if your label says beauty or bath bar instead of soap!) Drying your hands, anyway, would not get rid of lye if it was on your skin, you would need to neutralize it with an acid, like vinegar or lemon juice, as lye is a base; or at the very least, rinse with lots of water. If it was a "soap burn" it would be all over the hands, not just under rings. I only use my homemade soaps now, no detergents, even for washing dishes, and I still get the ring rot in the summer. I am going to try the vinegar-peroxide solution too, as I am sure it is some sort of fungal infection, which probably leaves spores or the fungus itself on the rings, which is why it returns even after the finger heals. It only happens on my ring that is semi-hollow under the stones, which to me seems to trap moisture on my finger, which fungus loves...

Doris Rush
- Franklinville, New Jersey, USA

(2007)

I too am a member of this unfortunate club. For 25 years I wore gold with absolutely no problem and for the last 8 wore platinum and gold with no problem until recently. My ring finger symptoms are the same as most except I do not have the burning...yes to the itching, discolored ring on the top of my ring finger and sometimes the little clear bumps.

I have always cleaned my ring with jewelry cleaner and am very conscious about washing my hands. I never sleep in my jewelry and regularly take my rings in to have them checked and cleaned (overdue this year). I finally had to yield to removing my ring. It helped somewhat, but definitely requires more work.

I have been considering going to the doctor, but will try the antifungal and the vinegar/peroxide cleansing first.

It is good to know that this is not an isolated situation. I read the entire list of postings. Good information. Thank you!

Rita P [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Louisville, Kentucky

I have suffered from this rash terribly in the past 8-10 years...it has only gotten worse with time. I have just finished cleaning my platinum wedding bands with the vinegar/H2O2 solution..at least they are sparkling now and it did pull all the gunk out of the grooves on the underside of the ring...we'll have to wait and see if it helps prevent the return of the rash once I can clear it up. I just rubbed garlic on my fingers...ring, middle and little as they are all affected by this rash. I do also suffer from this rash more mildly on my right hand so I treated it with garlic and cleaned my other (mostly silver) rings with the magic solution as well. Since I moved here in 1996 with my husband and first child, I've had 3 more children so the references to the pregnancies and the rash are curious...I've also suffered several pregnancy losses in between the successes. Curiously, we live where we have well water and when I first noticed the rash it was late summer or early fall in drought conditions. I began to think the rash was due to the high concentration of minerals in the water due to the drought. Also, my first born (in a fall season) in this home had severe gastric issues and could not tolerate her formula prepared with our well water or the bottled water with vitamins and minerals added. I imagine there is some correlation between the mineral and metal content of the water more so than the platinum bands alone that contribute to the rash. Of course when I used to work in a lab and now at home with 4 kids my hands are constantly being washed and being exposed to soap, cleaners and water that all settle in under my rings. I also got little ball bearing like weights placed on the underside of my diamond band to keep it form rolling toward the underside of my hand. Potentially these are not platinum but may contain nickel...it was so long ago I don't think I cared about that at the time..the rash hadn't yet appeared. Soooo...one more remedy for all of you is Nexcare Skin Care dry skin crack repair polish...you brush it on the dry, cracked, itchy, blistery yucky skin and it seals it so it can heal from the inside. Keep reapplying it until your rash clears and then maybe use some on your finger regardless, just to keep it sealed from the water and the metals in your rings when you dare to wear them again. I have my wedding bands around my neck on a black cord right now...I hope to wear them again some day if all these remedies work. For now the garlic is making me want to cook something good for dinner...

Rose D [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Bluemont, Virginia

A. This is mainly for Rose D ... I seriously think that most of this "rash" is caused by yeast infections. It happens much more often than people think. I have had this rash on both my fingers, experiencing most of what many people on this site did, and am finally getting rid of it. In the last week (it would be more effective if I wasn't eating so much sugar b/c of the holidays), I have started eating 2-3 cloves of garlic after each meal, and after 2 days, my fingers finally stopped itching. I mean, I tried Neo-Predef powder (usually used in animals for ringworm), cortisone cream, clortrimazole, and even alcohol scrubs to try to get rid of the itching and rash. I also started just dabbing some plain yogurt on my rash and that has seemed to help so much. I really suspect that I have a BAD candida problem (UTIs, endometriosis, I have the worst yeast infection that I have ever had right now that is going away, allergies, IBS, etc.,) and I am finally starting to feel better. Last month I had a miscarriage, and I feel that this has something to do with it. Also, DON'T DRINK YOUR WELL WATER. For that matter, don't bath in it either. When I used to live in Blacksburg, I would get these horrible rashes during rainy times...most likely more chemicals from the farms in the water. I didn't even let my dog drink it after a while because he would mysteriously get mast-cell tumors about 3 in a 9 month period. They stopped coming when I started filtering his water. It could be a coincidence, but you decide that. Also, you can get either a filter for your shower head, that can be used to fill up your bath or to shower in. And there are also home water distillers that you can buy (@400 bucks, but I think it is worth it). I hope your problems resolve, and please consider these recommendations. I am not that healthy, but I believe I have started to address my problems. Less sugar and more goal of 10 servings of vegetables a day is my goal. I am also thinking seriously of buying a juicer for the vegetable juice. Kind of gross tasting, but worth it too. P.S. Don't try eating fresh garlic on an empty stomach, unless you enjoy vomiting.

Irene M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Winston-Salem, North Carolina

thumbs up signThank you all for sharing. I'm not out of my mind - (or at least not with regard to my yucky finger). I too suffer from the wedding band allergy. I had never worn a ring on my wedding finger until I got engaged and then enjoyed a beautiful white gold engagement ring for nearly 2 years. While planning for the wedding band, we upgraded to a platinum engagement ring (which I wore for about 3-4 months with no infection) and then my platinum eternity band (also worn combined with the platinum engagement ring for another 3 months without incident). Then, out of nowhere, up pops these red oozy blisters that itch like crazy and make my finger swell. I will try the vinegar/peroxide solution tonight but have started to have some luck with a poison ivy anti-itch scrub followed by Aveeno's anti-itch concentrated lotion. Tried the cortisone which dried it but returned as soon as I replace the rings. I wish you all luck and will report back if I find a solution that works. Thank you all for sharing and to finishing.com for providing this great forum.

Michelle L [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Nashua, New Hampshire

I have the same problem! Only my "ring rash" is under a white gold and diamond ring. Wore it for 1 1/2 years with no problem...then one day - BAM!- horrible itchy rash. I take off the ring, the rash clears up. Put the ring back on, rash comes back.
But here is the weird thing - I waited for my rash to heal, then gooped on tons of triple antibiotic ointment under the ring. I was able to wear the ring for about a week and a half with no problems. I was so happy! Then tonight, I noticed that the ring looked a little dull so I took it off and scrubbed it with hand soap and a toothbrush. I rinsed it, dried it, and put it back on. Within FIVE MINUTES the rash was back! I have put cortisone on the rash and did the vinegar/H2O2 boil to the ring - we will see if it helps and I will post again to update.
Thanks to all for posting their symptoms and remedies!

Amy S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Redding, California

What a relief to read all these posts, but so frustrating that there is no 'magic answer.' I wore my platinum engagement ring and white gold wedding band for 5 years with no problems. Then, 4 months after my first son was born, itchy red bumps on the inside of my ring finger. When I took the rings off, it healed. Put them back on, rash came right back.

After a year or so of this on/off, I borrowed a band my mother wasn't using and had success wearing it - I assumed it was because her fingers are slightly larger. But now, 5 months after the birth of my second son, I am having the problem again. So I wonder about the hormonal link.

It seems clear to me from all the different advice posters have received from various doctors and jewelers, that no one really knows what this is and why it happens.

Meg J [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- NYC, New York

tip This method WORKS! I was suffering from this mysterious "platinum ring rash" and it was so sad to not be able to wear my beautiful ring from Tiffany & Co. I knew the ring was of excellent quality. I'd tried to have it professionally cleaned, to no avail. THEN...I soaked it in 2 parts vinegar to ONE part hydrogen peroxide, and boiled it for 10 minutes. I've been able to wear it for weeks now with no rash reappearing. To be on the safe side, I do take it off at night, and I also thoroughly dry my hands (and ring) after washing.

Heidi C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Washington, D.C.

A. I called my jeweler and he told me to coat the underside of my ring w/ 2 applications of CLEAR NAIL POLISH. He said it is not an allergy but the time of year. Worth a try!

Bridgette Doe
- Chicago, Illinois

thumbs up signThanks for confirming that I have a problem with my platinum ring and not my marriage! I started wearing my platinum ring on a regular basis after a job change. That is when I would develop painful, sometimes itchy, red bumps around wear I wore the ring. The swelling was great enough that I can not get the ring on the finger. I have no problem with silver ring I wear. I'll probably switch to all gold or silver wedding band. But as a guy, I have attachment to the marriage symbol of the ring and not the ring itself.

Kevin Knauss
- Granite Bay, California

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this awesome website. Here is my story. I have been wearing my platinum engagement ring with solitaire diamond for 4 years without any problems (no rash.) I had been wearing my platinum wedding band (w/channel set diamonds, so not a lot of metal)for 2 years and took a trip to South American one month after my 2nd wedding anniversary. I only brought my wedding band with me for safety reasons, and somewhere along my 2 week trip, I started to develop a red, itchy, flaky, weepy, blistery rash on the inner aspect of my ring finger (i.e., on the side closest to my middle finger, aka 3rd inter-digit space.)

Since I wasn't home, I kept on wearing my wedding band, and the rash got worse, to the point where I could not really wear the band anymore because the itching and swelling was really killing me. When I came back home to the US, I tried Neosporin ointment on the finger, thinking that some strange bacteria or something got into my wedding band when I was in Argentina and created a local infection/cellulitis. Unfortunately, Neosporin did not help. I then decided that maybe what I had was a delayed contact dermatitis (which you can get even after wearing/using something for years) which wouldn't have been so shocking since I have a lot of allergies and asthma, etc. So then I tried a 1% hydrocortisone ointment, which helped for about one day, but then the redness reappeared. I thought maybe the hydrocortisone wasn't strong enough, so I started using a prescription strength steroid cream (Mometasone.) That did not help either, only caused more aggravation of the red, itchy rash. So I just gave it time and let it heal.

It healed to about 90% and then I was so excited that I wanted to wear my rings again, only this time I decided it would be good to just try each ring individually to try and see if one was the culprit. To my surprise, I put my engagement band on (the one that I didn't have on when the rash began in South America) and I had it on for about 12 hours, then as soon as I took it off it was red, and the next morning again the weepy rash with blisters appeared. That is when I first found this website. After reading all the entries I decided that what happened was that something got into the wedding band in South America and that the dirt caused a local reaction on my finger. So I took the cleaning solution advice and cleaned both my engagement ring and my wedding band in 2:1 ratio of distilled white vinegar to hydrogen peroxide, soaked it for 15 minutes, then boiled it for about 10 minutes (cleaning it with a toothbrush the whole time.) My rings looked gorgeous and sparkly! Then I put my wedding band back on (after I thoroughly dried it) for only 2 hours, and the next day, the rash was back again. So I guess it wasn't dirty after all? I took my wedding band to the jeweler the very next day and had it dipped in rhodium (well, I thought I was re-dipping it, but it turns out that my ring was never even dipped in rhodium in the 1st place, it is 95% platinum, 5% alloy and the major component of the alloy turns out to be nickel.) I just got my wedding band back two days ago, and I am happy to report that I have been wearing it for two days and am rash-free. I should let you know though, that while my wedding band was getting dipped in rhodium (and then professionally cleaned afterwards), I was wearing my engagement band (same platinum/alloy percentage)without any problems (no rash!) As you can see, I'm stumped by this. I guess something may have gotten in my wedding band after all and I just didn't clean it enough with the peroxide/vinegar solution OR my finger started having a reaction to the alloy (although highly unlikely as I have no problem wearing belts and belt buckles are almost always made of nickel) and the rhodium just covered up the alloy so my skin wasn't directly touching it.

In any case, I'm grateful to all of your postings because without them, I wouldn't have thought to clean it at home, dip it in rhodium, or have it professionally cleaned. I really don't know what happened, but now it seems to have dissipated. I'm going to post again in a few weeks with an update, but I hope this has helped! If you are still stuck, then I recommend doing all of the above mentioned things, maybe one of them will work for you after all...

Also I forgot to mention this above, but I also tried anti-fungal creams and it cleared my finger up the very next day, but then when my finger was 95% better and after I had cleaned my wedding band with the solution, I still got the rash so I decided the anti-fungal cream probably didn't do a whole lot, it just got better on its own (by the way, I used Loprox, it's prescription anti-fungal cream.)I thought it was fungal because I also wash my hands a lot at work and my rings get wet, and I gained weight recently so I thought that was the perfect setup for a fungal infection, but oh well. And it is highly unlikely to have an allergy to platinum, it really is the most hypoallergenic metal out there.

Good luck to everyone!

Kay K [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- NYC, New York

I too have just begun to have a rash from wearing my platinum wedding set. I wore the set for 4 years without problem and after just having a baby have suddenly started getting a rash. I took the ring off for about a month and the rash went away...put the ring back on and the rash reappeared in 2 days.

I assumed that the rash was due to washing my hands so frequently so I am currently in the process of trying the vinegar and peroxide mixture....I will then sterilize the ring. I plan to wear it on the other hand to see if it worked. I know that I'm allergic to nickel....but there is not nickel in the ring....I'm highly sensitive to nickel and would have had a rash at least once in the last 4 years if it were that. If the rash appears on the other hand I will go see an allergist to determine if there is some other metal that I now have a sensitivity to.

I will post an update.

Amber C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Los Angeles, California

Thank goodness I found this site. I was ready to hock my platinum rings and look for something in a less irritating material.. like wood :). I've been suffering from the same rash (mini blisters, scaly, burning, feels and looks worse after a shower) but my rash continued up my ring finger and skipped to the side of my middle finger too. Tried cortisone but it dried things so much that my skin started to crack and bleed. I'm currently using A&D to see if that works. I plan on soaking my rings and boiling the heck out of them tonight.

Thank you for this forum. Sorry you're all suffering too but it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

Jen Murphy
- Washington, D.C.

Boy am I glad I found all of you! I got a new wedding set this Valentine's Day. I have been wearing it night and day. When I read that some of you thought it to be hormone related a light bulb turned on. I had a hysterectomy many years ago but still have my ovaries. After reading your posts I called my daughter and asked her if she was having her period and she is. We have always ovulated around the same time. I have to admit I got excited. I'm going to try the vinegar/peroxide thing too. I just thought I might shine a light on someone else's post.

Cheryl Bingham
- Los Alamos, New Mexico

thumbs up signI too had the red, itching burning rash type thing on my ring finger and I have a white gold diamond engagement and wedding bands. I wore the engagement ring for almost 8 months with no problems and the wedding band for almost another year with no problems. Up until about 3 months ago I noticed the rash. It's super annoying and I thought I was allergic. I tried Cortisone, lotion and Neosporin and taking the ring off for weeks at a time but once it was put back on it aggravated it again and the rash would come right back.
I came upon this site about a week ago because I'm getting sick of not being able to wear my rings. I tried the peroxide/ vinegar boil mixture and so far no rash! in fact, my rash seems to still be healing even with the ring now back on....I dry my hands really really good and don't wear it to bed or in the shower...we'll see how it goes. but so far the vinegar/peroxide seems to be a great fix!

Katey Moser
- Ventura, California

thumbs up signThis site saved my ring! I, too wore my ring for 8 months no problem and then would get a rash, let it heal, then get a rash again....even after professional cleaning and polishing. I tried the vinegar/peroxide mixture and then boiled and THEN from another site they suggested just soaking the ring in peroxide. So I did all three of those things and no more rash. I've been wearing it again for a few months now no taking it off!

K Kotreau
- Boston, Massachusetts

thumbs up signI had the red scaly itchy rash under my gold and diamond wedding band for several months. I scrubbed the ring with toothpaste and a toothbrush, jewelry cleaner...nothing worked. I tried the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide solution and have been rash free for months now. I highly recommend it!

Janet Beiswenger
- Malvern, Pennsylvania

thumbs up signFor those of you with an itchy rash under your rings: try boiling your ring (even if it has diamonds and/or is gold - it's ok, nothing will happen to it). I kept getting the same rash over and over, I'd take my ring off, the rash would clear up, put the ring back on, rash would come back. Never ending cycle, until I found another website with similar postings, and boiling was one of the suggestions. Well, I boiled my ring for 20 minutes, dried it completely, and I've been wearing it for over a month now with no rash, no itch, no problem. Seems there was probably bacteria or something caught up in the crevices of the ring that kept bringing the rash back. Boiling it killed everything. It really works - good luck to all!

Summer Olstad
- Hazlet, New Jersey

I just wanted to follow up with everyone. It has now been 3 months since I boiled my rings (for 20 minutes, hanging them from a chain so that they don't touch the metal of the pot). Still rash free and able to wear my rings every day without a problem. Before doing anything else, I strongly urge you to give boiling a try. Not only is it free, but your rings come out extra sparkly after. Getting the rings dipped in rhodium might work, but it gets costly after a while, b/c once the rhodium wears away, you're left with whatever bacteria was trapped under there in the first place and you'll have to go back and get them re-dipped. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Summer Olstad
- Hazlet, New Jersey

Q. True Platinum Allergy? I wore my rings for 3 months, and then became pregnant. I was instructed by my doctor to take off the rings, because they were creating the same kind of rash mentioned elsewhere in these posts. I ended up having another baby 5 months after the first was born, so no rings wearing from 2004-2006. After her birth I couldn't wait to put the rings on. After 5 months I ended up with the same rash, and I ended up getting them resized, because maybe they were too tight? Nope same reaction.

Then the rash wasn't just on my finger, but the rash continued up my hand, wrist and upper arm in red bubble-like bumps that itched. So I finally went to the doctor, and he obviously said I had a platinum allergy. So I went on to the jewelry maker to take care of the problem (after-all, I had only really worn my rings for a little over 3 months!), they had a problem with the time owned, but they decided to test the medal anyway. 100% pure platinum. Then they cleaned the rings with boiling temps, and I still retained a rash.

So far I haven't gone back. But right now I'm just let down. I'm thinking of redoing my two rings into one white gold ring (so far (I think) no allergies), but I know its going to cost a lot. Has anyone else done anything so extreme? I know FOR sure to try at least a month the metal to make sure I can wear it. But on the side- NO person in ANY jewelry store believes that I am TRULY allergic to platinum! No other cases have ever been reported. Is it the water? Weather? Or self? Any help from my letter would be appreciated!

Erin

Erin Fortin
student - Boca Raton, Florida

thumbs up signI too have had all of the problems listed above...and thought I was the only one too! Had worn my platinum rings for 6 years with no problem then suddenly kept getting the rash. I am HAPPY to report that I tried the solution listed above, and boiled the ring for 20 minutes (which was kind of scary..) and the rash is not coming back! I am SOO happy to be wearing my rings again...I have missed them! Everyone who is having this problem should give this a try before other expensive treatments!

Angela Dietz
- Savannah, Georgia

Wow, am I ever glad to have found this site. I was beginning to believe I was some sort of freak of nature! I had a rash one other time but it went away with Cortisone and didn't return. I just assumed I had some chemicals from cleaning trapped underneath or something. Now nearly 3 years after that one and only occurrence, I have been battling a rash (complete now with scales and cracking...ew) for nearly 2 months. I am completely at a loss! I am soaking my rings in the previously mentioned solution...wish me luck. My wedding ring means the world to me.

Amanda Janik
- Mukwonago, Wisconsin

thumbs up signI posted a month ago about my sudden and recurring rash and am extremely pleased to report that after the hydrogen peroxide/vinegar mixture and boiling my rings, I've yet to have another outbreak! This is very exciting because before, when I'd let my rash clear up (several days), I'd put my ring back on and the rash would be back in an hour. I am so very happy to have found this site! To anyone wondering where to start with this problem, try this very cheap trick, it did wonders for me!

Amanda Janik
- Mukwonago, Wisconsin

May, 2008

Just found this post, and I'll say what every one else says when they find it... Thank goodness its not just me! I've had issues with my Platinum rings for 7 years. The worse was while I was pregnant. I wore them on a chain around my neck because it was so bad. And I seem to flair up around my cycle a few times a year. I have always assumed I had some sort of hormonal imbalance induced allergic reaction to the platinum. Mine comes and goes and is never as bad as it was while I was pregnant. Except now! I will try some of the things posted... garlic and cleaning of the rings also. I was thinking of getting my rings coated as well. Ill keep you posted on my findings.

Heather ONeill
- Roswell, Georgia

I have been dealing with this rash for 2 1/2 years. It started 6 months after getting my white gold engagement ring. I would take it in to get professionally cleaned and polished. The rash would go away for about 3 months. Now, this technique does not work. The rash is on the palm side of my ring finger, flaky, dry, itchy, burning - IT HURTS!- I have tried clear nail polish, doesn't work. I recently received white gold diamond earrings - I don't know if the exposure to nickel in my earrings is contributing to my finger not healing?

I am going to get the plastic covers for earring posts and soak my ring in the 2:1 vinegar peroxide solution and see if this works. Of course, I have to wait for my finger to heal. I had contemplated upgrading to a platinum ring - but after seeing these posts - I will hold off. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tiffany Williamson
- Humble, Texas

I'm so happy to see I'm not alone or crazy! I am also having the same problem. I have a 14k white gold wedding ring I have been wearing for 2 years. Last week I noticed under my ring a dry red rash. A co-worker of mine said that happened to her as well and she thought it was possibly from soap getting stuck under it. After reading these posts I'm wondering if I'm due for a rhodium dip. I haven't had one for a year. I will try that and see if it works. Thanks to all who posted.

Beth Sahadi
- Willoughby, Ohio

The intent of this post is twofold: The first is to relay educational information regarding Platinum Myths that addresses why a metal as pure as Platinum can, in fact, trigger allergies despite marketing claims to the contrary. The second part of this message contains a rash treatment approach that has yet to be offered in the discussion thus far. This troubleshooting approach should be of interest to those who want to figure out if they are having a metal allergy vs. a rash triggered by a skin infection.

PLATINUM MYTHS: A Q&A with Jewelry Expert Dave West:

Summary: Jewelry owners and prospective buyers should note that Platinum and the disclosure the alloys it contains are not closely regulated in the US. Platinum is like pure gold in the sense that in its purest state it is too soft for jewelry. To increase its suitability for jewelry it must be mixed with other metals. Without regulation, consumers not have a means to determine what those metals are -- and the local jewelry store owner may not know either. For this and other info., please read:

http://www.askdavewestthejewelryexpert.com/2007/10/platinum-myths.html

TROUBLESHOOTING RASHES:

Although sanitizing rings is always a good idea -- if only because they look better when they aren't caked with soap and lotion residues -- those who are currently experiencing a rash should consider a step not previously mentioned:

1. Remove the ring(s).
2. Take an over-the-counter antihistamine such as Benadryl or Zyrtec. An hour after taking the antihistamine apply a small amount of topical Benadryl lotion to the rash. If this combination causes the rash to itch less and the redness to dissipate over the course of the next few hours, it is likely that the skin reaction is a histamine reaction (allergy).

If the use of antihistamines enables the rash to diminish or disappear in less time than it might otherwise, this confirms that an allergy has caused the rash. Why? Because a bacterial or fungal infection will NOT diminish in response to an antihistamine. Conversely, a rash triggered by an allergic reaction will in no way respond to the antibiotic ointments or antifungal creams mentioned in previous posts.

Once a metal allergy is confirmed, you have two choices:

1. Get your white gold or platinum rings rhodium plated at your local jewelry store and re-dip them every year whether you think you need it or not. (Some people may find it necessary to do this as often as every 6 months due to lifestyle and/or skin chemistry wearing down the rhodium plating at faster rates than others.)
2. Stop wearing the rings and consider upgrading your wedding ring and/or setting. (Try Titanium, surgical steel or high-karat yellow gold, for example. Note that Palladium may not eliminate rashes for those who are allergic to Platinum because it belongs from the same family of metals.)

BOTTOM LINE

Unfortunately, allergies are serious business. Once you have them they tend to get worse the more one is exposed. In effect, an allergy is an immune response your body creates to preserve itself from a perceived threat. Allergies are a manifestation of an immune system that has incorrectly identified something harmless -- like the metal in your rings -- as something serious like an infectious invader. The redness, itching and irritation is the result of the body's attempt to expel out the invader. Once the body learns to identify a substance as a threat, it almost never forgets. The word medical types use to refer to the immune system's ability to remember its foe is "antibody". Antibodies are exactly what they seem: ANTI bodies -- biological war machines to preserve and defend your health. Because of the interaction of one's genes in combination with a constant bombardment of man-made drugs and chemicals, not to mention the perfectly natural byproducts of animals and plant pollens stemming from flora and fauna found all over the world world -- often grown in just a few square miles in suburbia and often in concert with thousands of substances in our food and water -- in some individuals the immune system becomes hair-trigger sensitive. To one person this abnormal immune system response may arise in response to a food. To another a pet allergy. To another an "adverse drug reaction". And to some a jewelry allergy. Few of the substances our immune system wades through on a 24/7 basis have been tested in the real world. Pesticides, cleaners, medications -- they are studied, most often, in the relative isolation of a sterile lab -- which in no way predicts what will happen when they collide with millions of other substances, both natural and unnatural, in our environment and bodies. This is, incidentally, one reason why the epidemic of asthma, particularly among children, has skyrocketed over the past 50 years. Whatever manifestation such an allergy takes -- a rash on the finger, an asthma attack, itchy eyes or a stuffy nose -- the only solution is AVOIDANCE. Total and complete avoidance to whatever extent it is realistic to do so.

Of course, it can't hurt to keep one's jewelry as clean as possible in the unlikely event that the trouble really is bacterial or fungal in nature. To preclude that possibility, practical steps may be of use: Wash your hands with hot soapy water -- before and after eating, after arriving home, and after spending time in the kitchen, garden or bathroom. (And would you believe it -- computer keyboards have been found to contain more germs than some public restroom toilet seats!) Besides sanitation, clean jewelry sparkles more and looks much newer. Better yet, keeping your jewelry clean doesn't have to be time consuming. Simply keep an acid-free and ammonia-free jewelry cleaner in your bathroom and while you bathe, soak your jewelry in the cleaner. After you towel off, plug the sink and rinse the jewelry you have soaked with warm water. Pat dry or use a hair dryer -- they're great for getting jewelry to dry quickly without water spots.

I hope this info. helps!

Diana Lynn
- Whittier, California

thumbs up signThank you very much to the manager of this website and to those who took the time to post. I was beside myself when I got an itchy, bumpy red rash on the top side of my left ring finger. I had worn a platinum engagement ring with a three-stone setting for a little under two years, and a platinum channel-set diamond wedding band for about 9 months. When I transferred my rings to the other hand, the rash followed them.

After finding this website, I cleaned my rings with the hydrogen peroxide solution discussed in previous posts. I also boiled my rings, which scared me to death, but they turned out fine. My rash disappeared.

Since then I have not worn my rings to bed or in the shower, but I still wear them when I wash my hands. I clean them once a week. I got nervous about using the hydrogen peroxide long-term, and instead use a jeweler-approved and Heloise-endorsed mixture of 1/2 water, 1/2 ammonia. I soak the rings for 15 minutes and then brush them (especially the holes underneath the channel-setting!) before rinsing with water and drying them.
It has been over a month and I have had no more problems! Thank you thank you thank you!

Heather Langdon
- Aston, Pennsylvania

Q. One thing that I am noticing as a common thread is the particular area that is breaking out. Several listings showed that the rash is on the top of the ring finger and only the side nearest the middle finger. I have that exact pattern of the rash from my ring. My ring is 14K yellow gold. Does anyone have any idea why this could possibly be a common factor?

Julie Votipka
- Holt, Missouri

thumbs up signI also tried the vinegar, hydrogen peroxide boiling of my rings and the problem has gone away. Thanks so much to all of you who took the time to post these solutions. I have been wearing my wedding ring for 20 years next month and couldn't imagine what I would do if I couldn't keep wearing them. Good luck to all of you!

Julie Votipka
- Holt, Missouri

Triclosan is in the hand soap that we have been using forever at the office, maybe at home too! I will check that tonight. I have been having problems with my rings since July. This is the second time that I have had to treat my rings. I am going to try using regular soap instead of an antibacterial type to see if this makes a difference. We will keep trying until this is resolved. Good luck.

Julie Votipka
- Holt, Missouri

Okay, this is my fourth post on this site for this subject. I have now been using only hand soap with no Triclosan and that has completely stopped the rash that I was having. I don't need to boil my rings anymore. I urge you to look into how many products that you use that have Triclosan in them and stop using them. See if this helps. I did some research on how Triclosan works. When you wash your hands with anti-bacterial soap it leaves a protective layer covering the skin. Take a minute and look at the Wikipedia site and search Triclosan. Hopefully this helps someone else with this problem.

Julie Votipka
- Holt, Missouri

Yep- another victim of platinum ring-rash here... and I was just starting to think I was allergic to being married! I'm currently sitting here looking at my scaly ring finger, missing my ring- it was expensive and I hate not wearing it! After a Google search on platinum and skin rashes, here I am...

I have had my platinum ring for 4 years now and never a problem until the past year or so... I have had about 3 episodes of the itchy, painful red bumps/blisters and flaky skin. It resolved each time after taking the ring off for a few weeks, and of course the rash returns after a day or two of wearing the ring again. Cortisone seemed to help initially, but it's only over-the-counter stuff. Antihistamines don't seem to make a difference- hopefully it's not an allergic reaction with histamine release. I've never had a problem with Non-hypoallergenic earrings/watches/rings

3 factors mentioned in the above posts make me wonder...

1. It's channel set with lots of little holes on the underside of the ring- bacteria and fungus could be up in there. I use a Sharper-Image ultrasonic jewelry cleaner and also regularly scrub it out with a toothbrush and platinum approved jewelry cleaner. Apparently this isn't good enough? Maybe I'll just try the vinegar/peroxide boiling method and see if that helps.

2. I have a 14 month old son, I can't remember exactly when my ring rash started in relation to my pregnancy- I want to say it started about that time... the hormones of pregnancy have been blamed for lots of things, maybe metal sensitivity can be added to the list.

3. I wash my hands many, many, many times a day at work (at a hospital) with anti-bacterial soaps and Purell-type alcohol based hand gels- I thought those were the culprits (an allergy to Purell?). The increased incidence of Triclosan-containing products has grown EXPONENTIALLY and I wonder if sensitivity to these products is an issue as well. Maybe Triclosan and similar chemicals react with metal and release some metal salts or something.

I hope to get this cleared up (both the questions and the rash)- but in the meantime, someone above mentioned Titanium rings- anyone have any experience with these? They look nice and are relatively inexpensive for plain bands- I just hate to give up my platinum, but if the rash persists, I may check into a Titanium substitute ring.

Cathy Brummel
- Lafayette, Colorado

I am experiencing the same rash on my ring finger with 14 kt. white gold. I have taken the rings off only to have a red blistery rash return. I will try the vinegar and peroxide before contacting a dermatologist. thanks

Maureen lizza
- forty fort, Pennsylvania

Wow, I'm surprised to hear so many people with the same problem! My rash started flaring up in 2005. I thought it was because my company moved to a new building and the soap dispensers were very old and dirty, so I just chalked it up to a lot of the liquid soap getting under my rings. However, I STILL break out even when I do NOT wear my rings! The only time I've worn them is when we go away on vacation. I take some prescribed cream and for some reason it doesn't bother me as much. But when we're back home, forget about it! I'll try some of these suggestions, I hope they're the solutions to this problem.

Angela Davis
- New York, New York

Q. My husband has been wearing his platinum wedding ring since 2001. Only about this year ('08) the palm of his hand started peeling. Now it's moving to the outer part of his hand. Has anyone out there had this problem?

Petula C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Morganville, New Jersey

A. Hi, Petula. Obviously his doctor or dermatologist would have to evaluate what is going on, but why would you suspect his ring to be the cause of this problem, fairly well removed from where the ring contacts his skin?

thumbs up signI am so glad I found this site. Like most others I developed a nasty,red, inflamed rash from my platinum wedding ring. I had it cleaned in a jewelers but the rash returned instantly. I removed my ring until the rash cleared completely and took it off every time I wet/washed my hands also but to no avail. I decided to try the vinegar/peroxide solution a week ago and it worked wonders and I have been wearing my ring with no irritation! I have a princess cut diamond on my ring and I could see some dirt behind the stone which was removed with the solution which may be the answer. It is also shining like new!

Emma Shanks
- Scotland, U.K.

thumbsdownAfter wearing my wedding rings for about a year which are platinum, I developed a rash. Red blistery burning rash. I took the rings off for a while and the rash went away. I put the rings on my white gold chain around my neck and two weeks later I had a rash on my neck. Now I have 15,000.00 worth of rings that I can't wear. I guess I'm going to replace the rings with a white gold set.

C Morales
- Clewiston, Florida

I found this site while researching my rash, and I can definitely say it is caused by Triclosan.....

Yesterday at work, I went to the bathroom, then proceeded to wash my hands. From there I went to the vending machine and then back to work. Within 5 minutes of washing my hands, my finger was burning. I took my ring off and I have a red rash/burn where the ring was.

I have seen this in the past, but not nearly as bad, and I know that one of my bathrooms at home has hand soap with Triclosan. However, my guess is that the cleaning company at work has recently switched and is using a very generic hand soap with excessive amounts of Triclosan.

Mark

Mark Johnson
- Gaithersburg, Maryland

thumbs up signHi, Just wanted to let you all know that the vinegar / hydrogen peroxide solution really does work! I was really upset after 3 years of wearing my platinum wedding and engagement rings that I developed the red rash. I soaked my rings in the solution overnight and it started clearing up straight away. I soaked them again over night on the second night and its nearly now gone altogether! I really recommend you try this remedy!

Nicky Leamy
- Warwick, England

thumbs up signThe vinegar/peroxide solution worked for me too. After six years of constantly wearing my platinum wedding band with no issues, I ended up with a rash on my ring finger underneath the band. It looked like dry, flaky skin.

I boiled 2:1 white vinegar & hydrogen peroxide, "boiled" (literally, and apprehensively) my ring in the solution for about 10 minutes, and then soaked my ring for about an hour. I kept the ring off for a few days until the rash cleared up. It's been about a month, and the rash hasn't come back. I'm guessing there was some kind of irritant stuck in the diamond channels on the inside of the band that the solution was able to eliminate. I had previously tried standard jewelry cleaner, which didn't work (rash kept coming back). Can't tell you how relieved I was that this worked!

Hope this helps, good luck.

Stephanie Foran
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Q. Help! I wanted to disinfect my sterling silver jewelry, so I soaked it overnight in the white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide mixture. Now all of it is black and tarnished looking with a really rough texture to the metal. Have I completely ruined my silver? Please respond so I can know what to do. Thanks in advance.

Donna Bryant
- Mobile, Alabama

A. Hi, Donna. Have you tried a silver cleaning cloth?

Q. This may be a silly question...But, do you boil the rings in the peroxide/vinegar solution or just soak them in the solution and boil in water? And at the risk of sounding really silly, do you just put the rings in the bottom of the pot while boiling or should you suspend them in the boil? I am nervous about the boiling, but I am desperate to heal this rash and wear my rings again.

Lora Naron
- Texarkana, Arkansas

Q. I am also glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem! I have a 14K white gold wedding set, and wore the engagement ring for 2 years without any problem. Just a few months ago, the skin under my ring finger became bumpy, itchy, and eventually painful. I suspected that I developed eczema on my ring finger, but didn't know for sure.

I will try the vinegar/hydrogen peroxide solution and boiling, and hopefully that will solve it.

I'm wondering if the common thread to this problem is rings with many grooves underneath where bacteria can thrive (eternity bands, diamonds set with channeling, etc.) Anyone have issues with solid gold bands w/diamond solitaires?

Carol Cho
- Boston, Massachusetts

A. Boiling in regular water works for me. I get this rash every couple of months no matter how well I dry my hands or clean my ring. Just 10-15 minutes in boiling water is all it takes.

Lori Griffith
- Cedar Rapids, Iowa

1     2     3