-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

on this site
current topics
Live! From beautiful Pine Beach New Jersey: Welcome to the world's most popular metal finishing website

topic 32995

Roughness measurement question


We received a camshaft drwg that shows roughness specified in micro inches. We are used to Ra and Rz values. Can one tell me how to convert ?

Thanks in advance

Aldo Freschet
AMSEL - S.Paulo, S. Paulo, Brasil


Please try your terms in our search engine, Mr. Freshet, and you will find dozens of Q&As on that and related questions.

Specifying a finish in microinches 20 years ago wasn't a problem because surface finish marks meant Ra measured in microinches. These days, with the growth of ISO and European standards, and increasing metrification, specifying a finish in microinches without saying whether this is meant to be Ra, Rz, or whatever, starts looking like an incomplete specification. If it's a newer drawing, you probably need to find out what they really need.

Ted Mooney, Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Pine Beach, New Jersey
Striving to live "Aloha"

If you have a question in mind which seems off topic, please Search the Site

ADD a Q, A, or Comment on THIS topic START an UNRELATED topicView CURRENT HOT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2019, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.