Motorcycle frame - wheel polishing

2004

My name is Dave and I don't work for any sort of metal finishing companies, I just have a few questions about polishing my Yamaha R6 motorcycle frame and rims. I am aware that in doing this project, I am committing myself to a long and possibly painful process, but here in Ontario there isn't much of a riding season in the winter anyways. I have recently had my bike stolen from me and finally recovered in a fairly battered state and I figure now's the time to do what I have always wanted to it while I am repairing it.

- What are the proper steps in hand polishing the frame and wheels?
- What types of materials would be best suited for each step?
- Are sanders or buffers (electric) effective in speeding up the process?
- I am not sure if the wheels consist of the same type of material as the frame, does this mattter in getting the same mirror finish results?
- Are there any other useful tips?

Thank you for taking the time to read over this request and I hope someone can help me out with as much information and input as possible so I can get started on this project of persuing my dream-bike. I will also be painting the plastic fairings from the traditional Yamaha blue and white to all black with just a few custom decals in white or grey to create a mean and more stealthy R6. Thanks

Dave Sirove
hobbyist - London, Ontario, Canada

2004

Hello Dave. Those questions have been asked and answered here many times over the years. letter No. 800 is probably the best starting point.