Need guidelines for construction of fluidized bed for thermoplastics

2004

I need to build a fluidized bed for applying thermoplastics for a prototyping line. The part to be coated measures 16" w x 5" l x 2.5 " deep. I have ordered a membrane for the bottom of the bed, but for construction and operation of the bed, I have these 3 questions:

- How much larger than the part should the bed be (adding 6-8" to each dimension seems to give me enough room to properly manipulate the part in the bed, but is there a 'rule of thumb' that I should follow?)

- Similarly, Is there an optimal depth for the coating material (either in terms of a ratio of area to height of the bed, or in relation to the part depth)?

- Assuming a membrane surface area of 2 ft.^2 and an operating powder depth of 12", what is a ballpark recommended air flow and pressure?

Any help is appreciated.

John Kujawa
Marine Products manufacturer - Delray Beach, FL, USA