Redipped Or Not (18" Diablo Racing Wheels/Zerati Model)

2004

I recently bought an '85 Mercedes-Benz 380 SE that came with 18" Diablo Racing Wheels Zerati model that have curb damage (layers have been scraped not dented). I plan to resale the car but would like to know if it's worthwhile keeping the rims and having them redipped? I have heard that it's very expensive to have that done and may not even be worth it but I have no clue and need to hear it from the experts, what do you think?

Greg Miller
hobbyist - Baldwin Park, California, USA

It's not worth re-dipping the rims unless you know someone who will do them DIRT cheap. I found these rims online at $300-ish per rim and I wanted to get my stock 16s chrome dipped and was told I was looking at roughly $350 a rim. Good luck, I hope this helped.

Eddie M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Ny,NY

Thanks Eddie, you're right. Labor is the major cost in anything, and a plater at an OEM shop simultaneously processes dozens of rims per load, whereas replating is done one rim at a time.

My experience is the same as yours, not just for rims, but virtually anything: replating is for heirlooms, or for components with dimensions you can't match, or things with sentimental value, or special circumstances. When something is mass produced, buying the entire new item is usually less expensive than replating an old one.