topic 32807-2

Nails rusting science project, page 2

1    2    3

Q. I'm doing a 7th grade science project and I need sum answers.My question is what will rust a nail faster Coke,Pepsi,Oil,Water,Bleach,or Rain.So if you got answers then halla at ya girl.PEACE

Thanx
Luv Ya grl
'Lil'Momma as Shai

Shai B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Huber heights, Ohio

thumbs up signDON'T REELA MATTER WHICH RUSTS A NAIL FASTEST, GRL! MATTERS IS YA LEARN TO TEST IT, AN RIGHT IT ALL DOWN! ANSWER YOU GET IS ANSWER THAT'S WRITE! HOLLERIN CAUSE YA TOL' WE SO!

----
Ed. note: Shai's posting isn't great traditional English, but it was understandable. Before criticizing, we should consider whether we express ourselves as clearly as she did. Many times we see good grammar but have no idea what the situation actually is, or what the person is trying to say :-)

Q. Hi, I'm in grade 7 and my prog is about can Coke dissolve an iron nail,meat,rust,grease,eggshell,and an oyster shell. Please Help Me!

Love,Taylor

Taylor S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Mc Kinney, Texas

Electricity and Electronics

A. Hi, Taylor. Get a notebook, number the pages, and get ready to write down everything you do and see in ink, including the date and time. Then ask your mom for 6 cups or preferably glass desert bowls. Get a couple of cans of coke and the 6 items. Put the 6 items in the cups or bowls, cover them with coke. Come back tomorrow and see what you see and write it down. Do the same thing about every day for at least a week. Show the notebook to your teacher and ask him/her what else is needed.

Q. Hi I'm in 7 grade...

I'm testing witch pop dissolves an iron nail fastest and I'm wondering:
1)will a nail even dissolve within 1 month in a pop such as coke?
2)What iron nail will rust easiest? (uncoated?)
3)Will I even get good results? (if not, can I change the experiment to get better results?)
4)any thing else I should know?

Thank you! :)

Alex A [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
student - Frankfort, Illinois

A. Hi, Alex. I doubt that the nail will completely disappear, but there will be some corrosion. A flat masonry nail would be best, but try to sand off any coating on whatever nail you use. Honest results are good results.

Q. Hi, I am doing a 8th grade Science Project and I just had a few questions, that might help me write a report on my project.
Why does tap water rust nails so fast?
Why does rust weaken things?
Thanks for the help!

p.s. reply within 1-3 days please :)

Keturah F [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
student - Yellow Springs, Ohio

Hi, Keturah. Water conducts electricity and corrosion is an electrochemical reaction. Iron and steel are strong, rust is a weak fluffy powder.

sidebar November 13, 2008

Ted Mooney you a smart dude.

Antonio J [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- South Carolina

thumbs up signHi, Antonio. Thanks much for the kind words, but it's just specialization. Put me on "Jeopardy" and the only thing you'd ever hear from me is "What is uh . . . uh . . . uh ... " BUZZ!

Q. My son and I just finished an experiment on corroding one 12 penny nail in salt water, sulfur water, and tap water. Corrosion appeared on the nail in the salt water first, followed by the sulfur water, then tap water. I noticed in the above posting the nails corroded in tap water first. I know it doesn't really matter which nail corroded first. However, is this odd that the salt water showed signs of rusting first?

Connie Johnson
- Niceville, Florida

A. Hi, Connie. It is generally accepted that salt water is more corrosive than fresh water, so your results are neither surprising nor wrong. But when I did the experiment I did not personally see the salt water being more corrosive.

A. I think you should use salt water fresh water and sugar water. The salt water would corrode the iron nail faster I did a project on it.

taylor h [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- ft Washington, Maryland

Earth Science for Every Kid

Kids Guide to Research

thumbs up signI read most of these comments I'm also doing a project on rusting nails for a big state exam I have no questions but I would just like to say that the advice giving on this website is very helpful and relieving; definitely be on this again.

thanks!

Sarah M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Dublin, Ireland

A. You should use Coke because it will rust in like four days! I did it for science fair! I'm a seventh grader

Ashontai B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Marion, Ohio

the questions and answers on this site were really helpful and as I was reading you told one of the students to spray the solution on the nail for better rust results. I was wondering how many times and how much you should spray on the nail.

--elaine

Elaine N [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- San Jose, California

A. Bleach because it will rust 1 to 2 days. I did it for a science project.

Janel B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- El Dorado Springs, Missouri

Q. All of the entries above have different timings. Some say it takes a few hours for the nails to rust, some say days, and a few say weeks. I'm in 7th grade and I'm doing this science project and don't know how much time I need. I'd appreciate if you'd answer asap.
Thank you!

Hurmat H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
student - Brooklyn, New York

Hi, Hurmat. Who would you like to answer your question -- those who said hours, or those who said days, or those who said weeks? Are you looking for the time to the first spec of rust, or the nail rusting all the way through, or somewhere in between?  :-)

The serious answer is to set aside a practical length of time, which is probably a week for a 7th grader, and start seeing what you see. Good luck!

A. Use steel nails, they are not treated and will dissolve the fastest

Carly M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Oatmeal, Texas

Q. I Am Doing The Same Experiment,"How does changing the type of liquid affect how fast a nail rusts?" My question is for my research paper I did all my research and have come up with using these types of liquids: water, salt water, sugar water, bleach, and vinegar. The one in water started turning a bit yellow orangeish after 30 min. I put it in and the next 2 days the bleach one was turning kinda brownish. My question is why is it doing that? Is it because the bleach was colored somewhat green?

Layla L [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Grayslake, Illinois

A. Olive oil is really quick in rusting nails, coat the nail in olive oil and put it in fresh or salt water and leave it over night.

Georgia M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Sydney, NSW, Australia

Hi, Georgia. I would be shocked if that is true.

Q. Hi I'm Kevin . For my experiment about rusting nails I used 3 liquids- tap water, saltwater and vinegar. After around 2.5 weeks all signs of rusting have completely stopped for some reason! I haven't even done anything to them. However I have tied string to them and they're hanging in the liquid. Also the rust in the vinegar is strange. Instead of the nail turning red it has turned greyish something. Is this because of a coating (I'm not sure if my nail has one) or a property of a vinegar?

Kevin Z [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Adelaide, SA Australia

A. Hi, Kevin. It sounds like there is a good chance you used galvanized nails. The galvanizing is applied specifically to deter rusting. What does the box say? If you don't have the box you have to start over with nails from a box that you do have. Unfortunately, you can't learn much if you don't have facts to start with :-)

Q. Hi I'm Megan and I'm in 6th grade and I have a science fair and I waz thinking of doing a rusting project and my Science teacher said I have to do it soo specific so I waz thinking...

1)Get 2 jars

2)Fill one jar with water and other jar with vinegar

3)Wait for 1 week and compare the results

4)Tell witch Nail rusted quicker in witch liquid (and compare results each day)(on paper)

Tell me what you think.

-Thanks:)

Megan S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Georgia

September , 2009

A. Hi, Megan. That's fine as far as you've gone. Practice your spelling homework while you're waiting for something to happen :-)

Q. I'm in the eighth grade and I'm doing a science fair project about: What additives will best prevent nail rust?
I'm currently in the research stage of the project and I've isolated three additives ( WD-40 [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], Nail Polish, and paint) All three of which create some sort of a 'coating' to protect the nail from water and oxygen, preventing rust (Iron Oxide).
I'm taking my notes in the form of questions and answers (I.E. What is rust? -Fe2O3, What is WD-40 [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] made of?, How does this effect the rust?, etc.).

I've wrote about 4 + 1/2 pages of notes, and I need 1-3 more educated questions about rust, anti-rusting agents/additives, whatever.

These are due this Friday, but we will be building more up on them as the months go on.
Thank you!

Jonathon W [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Student - Mckinney, Texas

A. Hi, Jonathan. What are the advantages & disadvantages of using WD-40 vs. Nail Polish or Paint (cost, ease of application, ease of removability, safety/toxicity, effectiveness as a corrosion inhibitor)? What are the advantages & disadvantages of using Nail Polish vs Paint?

What do you think is the mechanism(s) by which these coatings deter corrosion?

Q. Hi, I already made my science project "In what kind of water nails rust faster" (mineral water, tap water or salt water) and I have my results, but I been looking for a research paper about this and I can't find any.
Can you please help me find one.

Aldo V [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
7th grade student - Laredo, Texas

Q. Hellooo I'm in year 8 and I'm doing an at home prac for science. we have to write up a report and I was wondering what I should include in my intro....i think my teacher wants it to be about 1 page long but I don't know what sort of things I should talk about..

thanks a lot :)

Ayashi F [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

A. Hi, Aldo. What do your results suggest to you? That's the starting point for your research. Take the results to your librarian and s/he will help you find an age appropriate book that explains those results.

Hi, Ayashi. You are not asking a science question, but for clarification of your assignment. Sorry, but nobody but a mind reader can tell you what your teacher wants. Please ask your teacher what s/he wants. Good luck.

Q. Hi, I am a seventh grader and doing a science project on which metals corrode the fastest. I am thinking about using metal wires of different types of metal and putting them in cups or test tubes in solution of salt water to see which one corrodes the fastest. My problem is the results have to be MEASURED and recorded on a chart or graph. I am not sure of the best method to MEASURE the results (by days, amount of corrosion etc...how would I measure the amount of corrosion?) Please help I am confused on this!

Tyler S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
student - Upper Marlboro, Maryland

"Hands-on" learning is fun, maybe try a precision scale? . . .

Electronic scale

A. Hi, Tyler. The way a professional laboratory would measure the corrosion is like this:

1. Weigh the sample before exposing it to the corrosive environment.

2. After exposure, treat it with something that dissolves any rust, tarnish or other corrosion product, but does not attack the base metal.

3. Weigh what's left of the base metal and subtract it from the original weight to say how much corroded away.

If your school has an excellent scale called an analytical balance, that would provide you with a way to weigh stuff. They won't let you use the necessary chemicals to dissolve the tarnish, but hopefully you'll be able to rub off or lightly sand off the rust and tarnish.

If you don't have the tools, then you need to settle for less precision. For example, maybe you could say 10 percent of the surface of the sample was rusted after one day; 30 percent after two days, 70 percent after 3 days, and 100 percent after 4 days.

Q. Hi I'm in 8th grade and doing a science project about which liquid can dissolve a rusty penny faster, diet coca cola or bleach I'm trying to find my background research but I can it hard and this is due this Friday can you help me.

kiara r [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
student - Florida

A. Hi, kiara. I think your background research should be limited to how to conduct the test. That's here on this page and on our FAQ: What Cleans Pennies Best.

To summarize how to conduct the test:

- Use pennies from 1983 or later because they were solid copper before that and won't dissolve as easily.

- Never mix bleach with anything; it's dangerous.

- Put one penny in each bowl and cover it with the bleach or the cola. But try to do at least 3 bowls of each instead of just one, so the results aren't random.

- Don't ask which will dissolve a penny faster, because then you'll be trying to twist the experiment and pretend you didn't see some things, all to try to get the 'right' answer. That's called junk science and your teacher may flunk you if you do junk science. Tell people which actually dissolved faster in your experiment.

- After the experiment is done you may want to do research on why it worked out the way it did. Good luck.

Q. Hey, I'm a 6 grader at DBMS and I need help doing the Hypothesis of my project

the title is: Which type of liquid (vinegar, coke, lemon juice, and water) would rust a nail the fastest?

Help please D:

Celest F [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Deerfield beach , Florida

A. Hi, Celest. Your hypothesis is your educated guess about what the experiment will prove. Often, the experiment proves the hypothesis to be wrong, and that's perfectly fine because science advances as we find out that our guesses were wrong.

So you have a choice of four hypotheses:

1. Vinegar will rust a nail faster than coke, lemon juice, or water.
2. Coke will rust a nail faster than . . .
3. Lemon juice will . . .
4. Water . . .

Q. Mr. Mooney,
I did my project like everyone else has and I'm sorry for having you to relive this moment of answering more questions about rusting nails. I did my project and put three nails in three jars filled with bleach, vinegar, and water. I let it sit and recorded it for one month. I already started my board for science fair and my teacher was going over my work and said I need more explanation. She also said I needed to state why the bleach was turning purple. I really don't know why and you are a reliable source so I was wondering if you could help me.

Anabella B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Little Rock, Arkansas

A. Sorry, Anabella, I have not seen bleach turn purple and have no idea why that happened. Were the jars made of glass? Was there any fabric in them that could have generated the purple color?

However, there is a test for the presence of bleach: it turns potassium iodide purple. Is this what you are referring to, that you put a piece of potassium iodide starch paper into the various solutions and only the bleach turned it purple?

You probably do need more explanation of what you did and what you saw. People who were not there don't know anything about what you did or how you did it, or what you observed.

1    2    3