Metal chandelier restoration

2004

I have a metal chandelier which appears to be a brass that has been painted over with black to give an antique look. It is about 40 years old and has become dull. I have tried to wash it, but it is still dull and has some pitting. Can you give me any information how I can restore the metal finish.

Janice Torre
Blinds Factory - SEAFORD, New York

2004

It would be useful to know if it's brass plated vs. solid brass. If it is non-magnetic it is probably solid brass and you can probably safely use a power buffer on it. If it is plated, the finish may be too damaged and worn to be able to restore it and you may need to have it replated.