Looking for real metallic sprayable exterior wood finish

Gold Touch  J G Nikolas  M and M Metallizing 

2004

I am a manufacturer of furniture grade custom hardwood windows and doors. At a trade show have see an exterior wood window with a metallic finish, (not sheetmetal cladding but "painted" finish). The manufacturer was very tight lipped about it but claimed it was their own real metal finish process, so I'm hoping someone knows what it can be? It is offered in: copper, brass, zinc, stainless steel. I have looked into atomized metal powders but no one knows if this can be added successfully to, for example, urethane, lacquer, varnish etc. to metallize the finish. Any ideas?

Steve Hassell
OSLO-America - Framingham, Massachusetts

2004

There is an outside possibility that it is a flame spray coating. It is difficult to do for many reasons. I saw a business card that had been flame sprayed, which I thought was impossible. This is not a cheap process and definitely not a fly by night garage project!

2004

Steve or anyone else, have you gotten a follow up on your question as to a sprayed on metal like finish? I too have seen it. I spoke with a gentleman at the Hartford Home Show I'd guess back in 2001 or 2002. Your correct, he was very tight lipped. They had on display a number of wooden mouldings they had finish in (as you suggested) bronze, gold, brass and a number of other finishes. They had a number of wooden figures they had "sprayed" metal as well.

I am searching for this firm myself, as I have some custom mouldings that would look great in these finishes. If you hear or find them, please convey this information back. Likewise I will do that same, thank you. Matt

Matt Fen
- Simsbury, CT. USA

----
Ed. note: This sounds like the finish offered by the supporting advertisers shown in the banner ad at upper right corner of this page.

2005

Dear Sir's,

Read your interest in metallizing exterior woods, etc. The process need not be thermal spray it can be cold sprayed using a standard HVLP gun. The product is sold as a kit of approx. one gallon or can be supplied in greater quantities. We use it for the coating of boats as an anti-foul agent. If you require further info please respond.

Terry Gould
metal spray - Oxnard, California, USA

2006

The Company I work for provides an exterior finish that can be pigmented (not advisable with real metal due to reactions) with colors to simulate metals. This exterior finish is backed by a US Navy spec. Our company has window & door mfgs. that put a 20 yr. warranty with our top coat on.

James Stallone
- Milford, MA, United States

2007

The metallized finish noted in the recent emails maybe a proprietary finish manufactured by Luminore, CA

Charlie Combs
- Valley Center, California