Low cost finishing of aluminum diecastings

2004

Hi

I am working on an enclosure for electronic equipment. This will be made as a diecasting in Aluminum 380 or LM24. The product will be used out of doors but not in a harsh environment. We had hoped not to have the casting painted or plated. Can you please advise the best suggested finish process eg. vapor blast, shot blast etc. I we do need to go the separate finish process for "low grade" protection what would you advise e.g electrophoretic paint, some plating process. A high cosmetic finish is not required, surface area is around 80 sqin or 500 sq cm. Cost is highly critical here so the lowest cost answer is what I need.

I look forward to your help with this.

Charles Downs
Design Engineer - Wimborne, Dorset, UK

2004

You will want to put some type of protective finish on the bare casting to prevent rapid oxidation. The surface will become chalky white in a short period of time if not protected. As far as the best coating for your budget, I would think a chromate conversion coating would be the least expensive if you can find a local job shop that does it. The yellow chromates generally provide longer protection than the clear ones.

jim conner
Jim Conner
Anoplex - Dallas, Texas USA