What is electrophoresis coating

adv.   coatec india banner

2004

I want to Know What's the Electrophoresis coating. What are the Advantages. How expensive are the equipments, raw materials.

I want to know because I work in a company that wants to invest in this kind of process which I saw on my last trip to China.

Carlos Puente
Alumina - Cali, Valle, Colombia

2004

It can be called electrocoating, e-coating, electrophoretic coating, catophoretic painting, and probably a few other things. In any case the parts are immersed in solution in an electrified tank containing the paint. It is drawn to the parts, where the addition or subtraction of electrons change the paint from ions in solution to solid particles adhering to the parts in a manner analogous to electroplating of metals.

The coatings cover every nook and cranny because as the high spots become electrocoated, they become insulated and divert the current to the low spots. Also the coatings are extremely thin.

Where the parts are big and the process is automated, such as in priming of automobile bodies, it can be quite expensive. But small setups for electrophoretic lacquering are not cost prohibitive at all.

I am very interested in the electrophoresis finish for aluminum extrusions used for exterior applications. Can you advise how it compares (pros and cons) against the traditional 2-step anodize (AA-M10C22A44 is Architectural Class I -18 micron)? Is there a place where I can obtain a spec sheet?

Greg Lewis
aluminum extrusions - Columbia, Maryland, USA

Are Electrophoretic Coatings food grade?

Vincent OH