de-wetting issue with reflow hot tin dipping

2004

I do a reflow operation on electroplated tinplate, using a basically 19th C. hot-tin dipping system. Pending on the batch of material, degreasing is either done by washing in dish soap or Acetone [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], and pickling is done in a fluorboric acid solution. In the years of of running this system, I have not had a batch of plate with this stubborn of an issue. I am having problems with de-wetting, on only one side only. I am guessing it is an oil coating that was mill applied prior to packaging on a single side. I have used every degreasing technique I know of, with varying degrees of success. One side of the plate is perfect, the other varies in the degree of de-wetting pending the cleaning undertaken.

Looking for any guidance on the cause and possible solutions.

Patrick Cunningham
tinner - Madison, Indiana, USA