Water Quality of Closed Loop Heat Pump Systems

2004

I am the lab manager of an oil field laboratory in southern Louisiana. One of my offshore clients sent me a water sample from a Heat Pump system at his father's house. He said that his father was having corrosion problems in his system. The valves have began to leak and corrosion is evident. I was going to do some basic water quality testing and have a couple of questions. What range should the pH be within? How much anti-freeze should be in the water? Should there be a visible white suspended material in the water? Are there basic water quality specifications?

He said that the valves were metal. Should they be brass or stainless steel?

Louis Ory
KCS, LLC (Oil field Services) - Belle Chasse, Louisiana