Stopping carbon steel flexible dies from rusting

(-----) 2004

Q. I am a user of flexible dies in the label printing industry and would like to know how to stop them rusting. I believe that they are made of high carbon steel, and anything that I use must not dimensionally effect the plate. I have tried VCI oils and papers with some success, but would like to know of any waxes or touch dry coatings that I could use.

John Park
printer - York, Pennsylvania
^

A. Dear Sir,

The rusting of flexible dies is not possible to stop without a chemical coating or other product. Some flexible die manufacturers don't coat the dies, then in a short time become rusted. Other companies produce flexible dies and put some microns of chemical coatings on top, not affecting the knife.

regards,

Raúl Silvestre
- Alicante, SPAIN
^

Q. What grade of steel is used to etch flexible dies?

brian dullaghan
etcher - rothwell northamptonshire uk
^

balesmss banner