Chroming hardwood guitars

(-----)

2004

I am a novice guitar builder from the Massachusetts area. I am currently trying to find a way to paint the wood of a guitar body chrome. I haven't found any paint that claims to be able to (not that any paint says it can't paint wood, but no paint ever advertises the ability to).

31775-1  

31775-2  

Several guitar companies have released chrome painted guitars and to sum everything up, I want to know how I would go about chrome-painting unfinished hardwood (if it's any different than standard finishing) and what paint to use (uncolored, silver or darker silver is what I'm shooting for).

Niccolai Taremble
guitars - Whitman, Massachusetts, USA
^

2004

These finishes are not actually chrome plating, Niccolai, they are indeed very shiny paints. But they are not something you buy at the hardware store and spray on with a single coat, they are coating systems and involve special products and a degree of experience and skill.

You can contact a supplier of the coating process (see the banner at upper right corner of this page), or (as many manufacturers do) locate a coating service to apply the finish you want.

^