"Will Liver of Sulphur Discolor White Gold on a Two-Color Ring?"

-----

2004

I'm trying to design a ring that features both white gold and a black metal. I'm toying with the idea of using a rose gold treated with Liver of Sulphur [affil link] to get the black finish, but I'm unsure of how this will react with the white gold. Due to the complexity of the piece, it might prove impossible to dip the ring in the liver of sulphur solution in it's component parts, so do I have to worry about damaging the white gold if I have to dip the entire piece?

John Smith
Hobbyist - London, UK

2004

If you do not want to have a chemical reaction and I do not think you could get one, simply mask the piece off with nail polish. This can be removed with acetone Acetone [affil link], then dunked into warm soapy water.

John Stapleton
Jeweler - Sydney, NSW, Australia

(No "dead threads" here! If this page isn't currently on the Hotline your Q, A, or Comment will restore it)