It's Tuesday 01/18/22 & your Q or A is Welcome.
Chime right in! (a "no registration" site)

-----

"Porcelain enamel surface prep"

Current question:

Q. After exposure to direct fire vitreous enamel coating is getting peeled off from my product. Is there any alternative for this coating?

Karthikeyan Ekambaram
- Tamilnadu Chennai India
^

"Advances in Porcelain Enamel Technology"
by PEI Technical Forum

Affiliate Link
(commissions from your purchases make finishing.com possible)

A. Hi Karthikeyan. If you are using true vitreous enamel (powdered glass), it's hard to think of anything better. If it is peeling I'd investigate a better cleaning process rather than a better coating process. The enameling won't stick properly to a substrate which isn't spotlessly clean.

But what is the substrate?

^

Closely related Q&A's, oldest first:

1999

Q. I'm looking for information on how to prepare steel for porcelain enameling. All I can find mention of is that a "pickling" solution is used. If someone can identify the specific acid used and a source for it, I'd appreciate it. If you know of a reference book on this process, I'd appreciate being told the title & publisher, etc., too.

Elizabeth O'Connor
glass works - Spartanburg, South Carolina
^

1999

A. A pickle for steel could be as simple as 10% Muriatic Acid [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] , but I don't know for sure about enameling. Here is a book at amazon.com, of which finishing.com, inc. is an associate: (This book got a good review over at amazon, and it is around 8 bucks). Metalwork and Enameling by Herbert Maryon, Paperback - 335 pages 5th edition (January 1984)

Good luck, tom

tom pullizzi monitor   tom pullizi signature
Falls
Township, Pennsylvania

^

2000

Q. I AM HAVING PROBLEMS OF COPPERHEADING IN THE GROUND COAT OF PORCELAIN VITREOUS ENAMELING OF STEEL PRODUCTS. I SHALL BE GRATEFUL IF ANYONE COULD PLEASE ADVISE ME ON WHY THEY OCCUR AND HOW TO GET RID OF THEM. ANY REFERENCE TO ANY TROUBLESHOOTING BOOKS WOULD ALSO BE WELCOME.

THANKS

BAKHSHI

TEJBIR BAKHSHI
KOTA,RAJASTHAN,INDIA
^

2000

A. A good clean part is all that's required for enameling. A customer in Florence uses a six stage spray wash for cleaning the parts, with a simple alkaline cleaner. They get good results as long as they keep the concentration up and pay attention to the process. Cleanliness is absolutely critical to enameling, so don't skimp on it. But no other treatment is needed.

Jeff Watson
Jeff Watson
- Pearland, Texas
^

"PREPARATION, APPLICATION, & PROPERTIES OF VITREOUS ENAMELS"
by Andrew I. Andrews

Affiliate Link

2000

Q. WE are interested to know corrosion & wear resistance characteristic of PORCELAIN ENAMEL coatings. We are interested to start ENAMELING work at BARODA. WE need know the application method for the same. Can you help us ?

ASHOK SAHASRABUDHE
THERMAL SPRAY job SHOP - BARODA, GUJRAT , INDIA
^