Anodizing of Tungsten

(1999)

I just came across your web site. You appear to be very knowledgeable in this area and I need a quick answer (although getting the work done would take longer). The ASM Metals Handbook 9th Ed. Vol.5 refers to an acetic acid / sodium borate solution (used for vanadium but no 'recipe' was included). Can you recommend an anodizing solution, electrode materials and electrical parameters or point me in the right direction? I eventually want to anodize tungsten powder but I will do trial runs on foil. Thanks.

Mike Featherby

(1999)

I hope that the "You" in "You appear to be very knowledgeable in this area" refers to the collective knowledge of ALL of our readers--because I have no ideas whatsoever on this one folks.

(1999)

The formula on page 661 of that book seems very specific to me. If the water is maintained between 1 and 2 M, then the acetic acid must be glacial.

tom pullizzi monitor
Tom Pullizzi
Falls Township,
   Pennsylvania