Carburetor Shaft Coating

1999

My current automotive projects involve the complete rework of Carter Thermoquad carburetors. The throttle & choke linkage shafts are coated with an olive-drab green colored coating. This coating is very slick and waxy which makes me believe it is teflon-type of material with a polymer binder. I would like to re-apply this coating to restore the low-friction characteristics that these shafts originally had. I have read a letter which references a gun finish called Green-X which sounds very close to what I need. Any information on what this coating may be, and a source for the coating, would be greatly appreciated!

Nohr Tillman
- Royal Oak, Michigan, USA

1999

I believe that the coating you seek is Acheson Colloids [Port Huron, MI] Emralon. I have an old brochure that shows carb parts, painted with the stuff. It is indeed a PTFE dry film lubricant in a phenolic or epoxy resin. Mike

Michel Moninger
- Sarasota, Florida