Chrome Plating Hanger or Rack Material

(1999)

I recently took over a QC position for doing some chrome plating and have noticed severe degradation to our carbon steel hangers, likely contaminating our solution. I was wondering if anyone is using some alternate materials with success.

Chad Tameling
- Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

June 9 -

Depending on the strength required, my preference is for aluminum. Any rack needs to be masked as much as possible unless it is also serving as a thief. Racks with replaceable tips are cost effective. Titanium bolts is my preference for fasteners. Everything is going to pit or erode somewhat with long exposure, especially if the part is reversed during the etch. Aluminum and titanium will not contaminate your tank as much as steel will. If you are not using porous pot technology, you will find it well worth the cost. Hard Chrome Consultants in Cleveland is the cheapest good system that I know of.