-----

"Using galvanized welded mesh for food prep"

2004

I am working on a device that will go next to a piece of bread in a household toaster. I need thin wire mesh frame of roughly a 5" by 5" size. The only wire that I have found to be thin in an 8X8 mesh size is made out of galvanized steel and is actually a welded mesh not woven. I am wondering if I can use the welded wire in this situation.

Or if some one knows of where I can find a fine wire Approx. .017 or less in an 8X8 mesh size I would be greatly appreciative.

Sorry I was not able to decipher the FDA website to find out what materials and finishes have been approved for food handling. Any help in finding the right links online for that information would also be greatly appreciated.

Dimitrios P [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
prototype shop - Pasadena, California, USA
^

2004

No galvanize on anything that touches food. Use a good grade of stainless. 0.017 is extremely fine wire for an 8" by 8" mesh. You will very probably have to find a company to make it special for you. It TIG welds easily.

^