Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

Brass Restoration

2004

We have a heavy brass 2 foot statue of a cowboy on a horse that is rearing up because of a snake. It sat out on my son's porch for quite awhile and partially turned green! My husband used some Lysol Basin Tub & Tile Cleaner...which did take off quite a lot of the tarnish. However, I am concerned that it may do something more to it, so I won't let him do more! It is really a very nice piece and I would love to get it back to its original look.

I have read all the things about Kool Aid, toilet bowl cleaner and salt & vinegar. Please advise me what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Carolyn S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
retired - Palm Harbor, Florida, U.S.A.

2004

Hi Carolyn. You say you've read all the advice (it's from from hundreds of people, and goes back over many years) . . . and you now want someone to advise you what to do? You do realize then, that they've already done exactly what you're asking for a hundred times already :-)

The advice you've read is conflicting, but more postings can never fix that, they can only generate even more conflicting advice. So I'd suggest taking it to a professional conservator or antique restorer who you would have confidence in -- who can remove the tarnish, restore it to the brightness you seek, and professionally lacquer it. Good luck!