Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

Copper plating large pieces

2004

Is it possible for me to buy whatever is necessary to copper plate the body of my 1966 VW bug? If it would be more practical, is there any place that has a tank large enough to do something like this?

Daniel L [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Hobbyist - Aurora, Colorado, USA

2004

Hi, Daniel. I have heard of many cars being painted with shiny chrome-look paint, and seen the pictures. I have heard of a couple of autos being gold plated, but I have never seen one or even a picture of one (if someone knows of a picture, please inform us!). And unlike gold, copper plating will tarnish and oxidize.

The short answer is that neither buying the materials, nor contracting with a plating shop will be practical for copper plating a car because every weld seam would have to be made perfect in order to not show, and the corrosion protective value of the galvanizing on all the lower panels would have to be stripped. Yes, you can do it if you really REALLY want to, but I doubt that you can do it without investing years of your life in it. It's more of a life's work art project than something you buy. Is it worth it to you? Good luck.

2004

One of the brush plating companies brush gold plated a Delorian ( somehow I think it was for Goldfinger movie). I have seen pictures of this. Possibly by the company that gold plated the California capitol dome.