Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

Chrome Plating Baking Process

2004

We are having steel Grade 8 Hex Head bolts plated with decorative chrome. I am concerned about the strength of the bolts (hydrogen embrittlement) since the platers did not begin the baking process until 48 hours after the chrome was applied. Could this delay cause damage or lasting effects or is it unimportant?

Curt Fisher
Steel fabrication, fasteners distribution - Wallingford, Connecticut, USA

2004

It can have catastrophic effect.

2004

You were kind enough to answer my letter. Could you please tell me what is the most commonly cited spec for the application (having steel Grade 8 Hex Head bolts plated with decorative chrome). And does it specifically address the time frame limits (how soon after plating) for baking or quenching? Thank you for your help.

Curt Fisher
Steel fabrication, fastener distribution - Wallingford, Connecticut, USA

2004

The time frame in spec's is usually within the hour. In grade 8 fasteners you should maintain this time limit, since the hardness of this fasteners could make them even more vulnerable.

Carlos Cielak
plating shop - Mexico City, DF, Mexico

2004

The Spec you are looking for is FED QQ-C-320 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] type I.

Rodney Nichols
- Bridgeport, Connecticut