-----

"Anodizing of Titanium"

2004

I've had an enquiry regarding anodizing of Titanium is this possible, and if so, how does it differ from Aluminum ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Seamus Bourke
Plating Shop - Weymouth, Dorset, England
^

2004

Acid anodizing of titanium is a very thin decorative coating and should be rather easy for a professional like yourself, I would think. But the inquiry is probably for alkaline anodizing (AMS 2488 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] is one spec). That's an entirely different process for wear resistance and anti-fretting, and may be covered by patent despite the existence of the AMS spec.

^

2004

Ted, AMS 2488 is not covered by a patent, but rather is a closely guarded secret by those of us who have figured it out.

Jon Quirt
- Minneapolis, Minnesota
^

2004

Thanks for the correction, Jon. I had read a blurb on a site (whose name is almost synonymous with ASM 2488) and inferred from what I read that they owned the patent on it. I appreciate learning that inference was erroneous.

^

ti anodizing  russamer labs banner