Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

Preventing rust/oxidation prior to final coating

2004

I am a metal sculptor and am looking for a way to minimize oxidation on steel. After welding or brazing a work I remove the flux in a Muriatic Acid [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] bath followed by an ammonia dip and a water rinse. I then polish using a wire wheel (not a stainless steel one) and have it powder coated with a clear finish. My problem is that there is often several hours to one or two days before the powder coating is done and the metal tends to oxidize/rust and I then have to re-polish it before coating. My question is: Is there any way to keep the piece free of oxidation during the delay between polishing and coating? I am looking for something that won't change the polished finish. Any information is appreciated.

Richard Cimino
Metal Sculptor - Lewisville, Texas

2004

You might try VPI paper. A number of companies ship parts in this paper to prevent rust. Giant plastic bags with some dishes of desiccant inside might be enough. Some desiccants can be recycled in the oven.

finishing.com is made possible by ... this text gets replaced with bannerText