-----

"Disposing of nickel strike"

2004

Hi All,

I got into electroplating via some DIY websites in the US about 2 years ago. I have 600ml of concentrated nickel strike solution (for potmetal) that I want to get rid of. While it is a small amount, I thought it prudent to check with the experts (you) with regard to the best way of disposing it. At this stage, I think my options are:

1. Plate out the salts with a large set of electrodes for a long period and dispose of resultant liquid in sewer with plenty of extra water.
2. Let it sit in the shed for another 30 years and worry about it then.
3. Wait for the (annual?) chemical council disposal service to come through my area.

Any suggestions? Is option 1 a viable option or is the liquid an extreme health risk?

Phil Adams
hobbyist - Melbourne, VIC, Australia
^

2004

There may be regulations on this in your area, I don't know, but I would go with no. 3 because the material will end up in a secure landfill, where it will be safe for 30 years, after which someone else will have to worry about it :-)

^