-----

"Primer before Tremclad Enamel on previously painted steel door"

2004

I have painted my previously painted steel outside door with 3 coats of Tremclad enamel and the original paint still shows through. The color of the door before was medium blue and the color I am using is a deep green. I have sanded and TSP'd [trisodium phosphate [affil. link to info/product on Amazon]] the door and the adhesion seems good, just very transparent. I have a large French door to do as well, but am thinking perhaps I should have used a primer before. What would you recommend?

Jane Simpson-Brown
hobbyist - SAULT Ste MARIE, Ontario, Canada
^

2004

That's more of a home improvement topic than an industrial metal finishing topic, but I've made the same mistake of starting with enamel, applying 5 coats, and still not having a saturated color. You need to paint it with matching flat paint first; the enamel is translucent.

^