-----

"What sealant for a copper floor?"

2004

Q. I am a homebuilder that is looking for a way to seal decorative copper sheeting that will be used as the floor for a large kitchen area. The floor will be made of copper and will therefore require a sealant that will protect the floor and keep the copper from getting a patina. Does anyone know of a product and/or service that will enable me to seal copper in such a manner that will make it into an effective flooring? Resin perhaps?

Yvonne Tavares
home builder - Hartsdale , New York
^

2004

Q. I have the same question. Did you ever come up with a solution for maintenance of a copper floor?

Gail Dean
- Atlanta, Georgia
^

A. Hi. Although I don't have personal experience with the exact situation, I think whatever sealant you put on it will to some extent either react with the copper or let the copper breathe and oxidize. Therefore, to keep it bright I think you will need a treatment with benzotriazole (copper preservative) before applying the lacquer, clearcoat, or resin. Good luck.

We have any number of threads about preserving the brightness of copper in sculptures, artwork, countertops, and decorative items, and there may be food for thought in some of them. Good luck.

^

Q. Wondering if there was a solution to this copper floor question. I want to do the same.

Marty Seyer
- Austin, Texas, USA
^