Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

Paints for Aluminum

2004

I need to know what else I can paint aluminum with. The aluminum is going to be attached to my car roof racks and it needs to be able to with stand corrosion. I know about Powder Coating or even just leaving it plain, but I would like to know other painting options - that will last and be aesthetically pleasing.

Jodie Watts
Student - Port Macquarie, NSW, Australia

2004

Clean it well with hot (100 - 150 deg F), highly alkaline soapy solution, ph roughly 11.5 to 12.5 (Lye is 13). If you paint, then us wash primer with about 2% phosphoric acid content (apply a very thin coat), dry for about 2-3 minutes, follow up with polyurethane high solids for outdoors--very durable. Do not use epoxy--it will crack under solar radiation (sun), it's too brittle. A very good enamel would work, too, but I am partial to the high end polyurethane. Just be sure to use a good wash primer--the acid content etches itself into the aluminum and the topcoat sticks fast and hard. Do not touch after priming. You might want to clean it with lacquer thinner [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] after the initial clean.

Bill Workman
- Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.A.