Testing for nickel-free plating

(2004)

Q. The Jewellery Industry requires their plating to be nickel-free due to nickel allergy. I am looking for help to test if a plated article is nickel-free. We know it is done with Dimethylglyoxime but we are looking for the specification or proper test method? Can anybody help? Thanks!

All the best,

trudy kastner
Trudy Kastner
electroplating service
Durban, KZN, South Africa

Click on graphic for "NickelAlert" test kit:
nonickel test kit

I don't know if there is an applicable standard, Trudy, but spot-test kits to test for the presence of nickel in jewelry are available on-line from a couple of sources, including this link =>

Testing food for Nickel

Q. Is there any way to test for nickel in foods, etc. that I could do at home? You can't use the standard test as that is to test for nickel on solid items such as computers, jewelry, etc. I have a nickel allergy from nickel in food. I have searched and could not find anything on the market to check the food I am eating. The charts for nickel in food are based on region and not very accurate as nickel is leached up from the soil it is grown in so can differ greatly. If I could test the foods I have or grow it would make it so much easier for me to live and eat!

Corinne Rodriguez
sufferer - Old Bridge, New Jersey, USA