Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

Removing chrome plated WW2 pistol to blue

2004

Just recently I received a ww2 pistol. It has been chromed. I would like to return it to the original blue metal color. How do I tell if the chroming has a nickel base or not? Will the weapon be damaged if the chrome is removed? Do you have or know of any places that can reverse chrome plating? It is of great importance to me being that there are stamps on the weapon showing factory specs. Thank you for your time

Richard Fendy
personal hobbyist - Palm Bay, Florida, United States

2004

If the chrome is shiny, decorative, mirror-like, there is definitely nickel under it and you probably cannot remove the nickel yourself. Most plating shops which serve the public can strip this chrome and nickel off for you without doing any damage. The same shop may be able to apply a black oxide and oil (bluing) finish.